How'd it go today?

Well I finally got my little toy put together after a re-port job.

I re -tweeked the piped Mini Mac to coax a little more juice out of it.These damned things are the most frustrating POS to work on ever invented .Well at any rate I turned it into a little screamen demon .Now if it doesn't come apart like a dollar watch I'm in like Flynn.8)

Steve, Wow. Mulberries definitely can be brushy messes but it sounds like you get about 4X what I do-GOOD FOR YOU!!!

fruitless mulberry always have more brush in them than it looks like, sounds like your ok on it

Well, I was planning on an easy day-Take care of a couple small jobs, collect on some stuff. -That I accomplished but.......unfortunately at the very end of the day the chipper clutch imploded. I guess I'll be wrenching tomorrow.:(

Olathe 984. What stinks is I replaced the clutch less than 2 years ago. It started acting funny last week-not wanting to disengage-I pulled the inspection cover and blasted everything with a pressure wand(there was a bunch of greasy cottonwood cottonall over everthing). It went back to disengaging, then drug a little day before yesterday-worked right again then Pow! no engagement.

Sorry to hear about your clutch Justin.

My day was a good deal better than the one before. I did a climbing for bucket work swap that was a good deal for both parties. It was nice working with another tree company that has pride in their work. I think we will be working together again in the future.

Regarding the clutch saga.......Took it apart, no wear on the clutch material , no wear on the pressure plate but as the previous worn out clutch disc had done the threepiece disc had busted out the springs. In this case totally, so that the splined portion that fits the shaft could spin without turning the disc. The throwout bearing which had been fine last week was cratered, bits of clutch springs littered the inside of the bell. Back to the parts house with my broken bits and pieces I went. The search for the parts commenced anew since as a cash customer they don't keep a history of my specific purchases. After a half hour in the books a discovery was made.... My identical pressure plate specified a one piece Agricultural application disc which doesn't have all those stinking springs. The disc I had which I got last round (identical to the one on it when I bought the used machine) is an old automotive style(1935-1966) that matches the spline count and diameters of the ag disc...but obviously doesn't hold up well in a chipper application. So ,my parts are on there way, won't arrive until Monday (crapola) but hopefully will endure.

Sounds like good news on the clutch, Justin. Hopefully the industrial duty one will work better and last longer for you.

I did a decent size removal this morning for a land clearing/ Bobcat guy. He had a few saws but you folks know how that goes. New chains but nothing else has been touched on the saws since purchased new 2 years ago. And the guy running them kept getting the bar pinched every 5 minutes. Luckily I didn't leave him much to cut up. It was a 36" oak about 70' tall and the lead over the yard had split out a month ago. The other 2/3 of the tree leaned over the house and another smaller tree. I started at 8:30 and finished the stump cut at 1:30. Sometimes it takes a bit more thought and effort when the people on the ground aren't capable of helping you (even though they tried, they pretty much just got in the way).

But the guy pays well and was very pleased with the mess I left for him. I also saved him a few dollars and a lot of time by telling him about another disposal site that was only 3 miles away.

Second job ran until after 5:30 so I'm a tired pup tonight. Waiting for the intense lightning storm to let up before I go grab some chow. Due to the weather I guess I'm having Chinese tonight. It's in the shopping center 3 blocks away, I don't even have to go out on the main road to get there.
:)

Sorry to hear about your clutch Justin.

My day was a good deal better than the one before. I did a climbing for bucket work swap that was a good deal for both parties. It was nice working with another tree company that has pride in their work. I think we will be working together again in the future.

Ah HA! sounds great to hear you are hooking up with better help.

Nice tree Willie. That would be a good place to put up a small sign, "This tree maintained by Southern Oregon Tree Care." Most of my trees are in bad shape to begin with and you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. It would be nice trimming grand old oaks like that.

this is a rare treat, the owners were moving out oday and the new owners will move in monday, pretty cool job,3 cables tommorow

Good deal on the clutch Justin. I'm doing a little land clearing work myself still :( but should be finished up tomorrow :) . A decent sized job for me but a little drawn out and more driving a bobcat around then I really care to do for 3 days. I've fell bucked and cut to length (short to fit in my 1 ton dump) about 40 trees mostly pretty decent Doug Fir's but some scraggly suckers to cleared them offsite (to my and my neighbors place) and piled up all of the debris. Have left all the stumps in place tall so their excavator can yank them out easy and left two big piles for their hoe to load as well.

I'll have to season the firewood for a year but it's still a pretty nice score of firewood for me, roughly 15 cord I figure.

Heh missed a whole page, cool looking tree Willie!

The annual Peterson Poker Run started today. It is an event that brings 30,000 motorcycles to the Keys. Every year 1 or 2 die. A biker died today at 12:41 in Marathon. :(

The annual Peterson Poker Run started today. It is an event that brings 30,000 motorcycles to the Keys. Every year 1 or 2 die. A biker died today at 12:41 in Marathon. :(

Sorry to hear that I thought I was having a bad day.My lawn mower died.:(

Stumper, good luck on the chipper clutch. Are you replacing the pilot bearing while you have it apart?
I have a job booked for tomorrow, one for Monday, and one for Tuesday-Wednesday and a bid to do this afternoon and one more person to whom I gave a bid several weeks ago wants me to call. TC3, I would starve in about a week in Michigan. You are like my friend's Dad. He was one of the top bull riders in the state in the 60's and one time I was at their house and this 16 year old boy came to talk to him to seek advice about how to become a champion bull rider. He tells him "Son, if you are going to be a bull rider, the most important thing you need to learn is how to live on about 60 cents a day".
Beautiful tree Willie.

Back