How'd it go today?

I organized my hunting gear today. Looked at a few jobs. My close friend and tree work mentor rose in visiting for a week and is putting in 2 days with me this week. He moved back to grand rapids last year and went back to Bartlett to finish out his career as a crane operator.

I organized my hunting gear today. Looked at a few jobs. My close friend and tree work mentor rose in visiting for a week and is putting in 2 days with me this week. He moved back to grand rapids last year and went back to Bartlett to finish out his career as a crane operator.

Sounds like a great way for an experienced guy to wind up his career! how old is he? So Bartlett has their own crane, wow that is surprising, around here they have a strong presence but only buy the bare minimum of equipment, forestry bucket, chipper maybe with a winch.

I know a crane operator that is ending his career by being a crane operator. Officially retired, but he still has his license and does jobs now and then. He doesn't seem to lose his touch after so many years doing it on a regular basis. He will get out and operate a saw as well, just generally seems to like working.

On vacation with my youngsters since fri. Grandma and grandpa are very happy and I slayed I nice six point buck this morning. Also picked up a real nice MS 660 for $500. Good times, meat in the freezer, and another week until I have to be the money man again.

Cory, Ed is in his early 50's. He can still climb very well, and jumps in the bucket from time to time but he floats the company crane between 4 crews that work out of his office. He is an absolute top notch professional and mentored me for my first 5 years in business. He spent many nights helping fix my tools with me, taught me a lot about bidding work, beat safety into my head, worked with me every Saturday as a climber, taught me a lot about rigging, and most importantly he worked hard to teach me to slow down, and game plan a job for maximum efficiency and profitability. His nature in the tree is not one of taking big shots and blowing peoples minds with ballsy maneuvers. He is a little more on the cautious and detail oriented side of the game. With that said, he gets the work done just as quickly. He doesn't move like a rocket through the tree but rather he gets a great amount done from each position he is in. VERY efficient and planned out with his movements. I was lucky to have him by my side and he saved my ass from a lot of losses and dangerous maneuvers. He was like a father figure to me. A very soft spoken and patient man.

He still calls ne weekly to check in and offer me a sounding board with work issues that come about. Very much a father figure to me. He always encouraged me to steer my company towards professionalism and away from being just another dirtbag tree outfit full of junkies and half asses.

When I was 22 I made a remark one day and said to him I wanted to be the best climber that ever walked. His response was, "don't ever allow yourself to feel that you are the best. When a guy feels that way, he has closed his mind to becoming better. Learn something from every climber you see, even when you've climbed for 30 years, a new climber still may have something to offer you."

I will remember those words as long as im in business. That's why in the work pics thread no one has ever seen me knock another climber or scoff at them. I scroll that thread and try and make mental notes of everyones style. So that I can work it into my own style.

Ed is a great guy, a mentor like that can mean so much. Early 50s is young. Perhaps you can help take care of him when he does get old, if he requires it.

Well he is in Michigan now and no longer living in PA. Otherwise, id personally assume the responsibility of caring for him and his wife if they ever needed. That's no bullshit. I have no shame in saying that when I watched his uhaul truck pull out of his driveway Michigan bound a few years ago, tears ran down my face. It was tough for me but I had to remind myself that people come and go in life. They don't always remain right where we want them to.

Yes he is young Jay but the top dogs at Bartlett in Grand Rapids begged him to move there and made him a great offer. He put in 8 years out of that office when it was first formed after purchasing a large established company in that area. Portenga was the name of the company Bartlett bought.

Back