How'd it go today?

I did a little research on a rising column of hot air ,smoke in this case .It seems it rises in a circular fashion .As hard as this is to fathom with a square flue effectively the corners have little or no effect .It's as though in this case the 81 square inch area of the 9" square liner has the same effect were it a 9" round being 63 square inchs .

I further made reference compairing this insert which is a 1982 Lopi insert to a Lopi stove being made today . The later model has the same firebox area and a free standing type rather than a fireplace insert and it uses a 6" flue .6" would be approx 28 square inchs as oppossed the 38 sq inchs of a 7 inch . It should to be good to go--or I'll be pissed after doing all that work .Cornfield rocket science 101 .:D

Other news .Kind of like that space shuttle deal in California .Ole Tom landed a job either connected with NASA or the Air force that has something to do with either a radar thing or a big giant telescope .

Evidently they are moving this giant thing down a stretch of highway and all he has to do is show up with a saw and a groundman .They have the bucket truck .Just a standby deal by the hour if something needs clipped out of the way .In addition there's a crew of linemen if they need to clear any power lines .If it makes the news I'll post a link .

I guess if you get lucky and hang long enough stuff can go your way .He just landed a three month job through the state of Ohio paid by the hour .

I found a chimney liner made for a better draw also, Al. I think part of it is the liner warms up faster than the clay liner and probably gets hotter also. My bud the sheet metal worker used to make galvanized double wall with fibreglass. It worked fine. He sold his old place he built. The garage had one of those pipes that was 25 years old. They were warned of its age and condition. We don't know if the pipe separated at a joint or burned through. Burned the roof off and saved the walls. It pays to listen.

On that obviously say 22 gauge black iron or galvanized sheet metal would hang longer that 24 gauge .However the wood smoke would contain some acidic properties and plain steel would fail or should fail before stainless .By the same token over a period of years wood smoke works on a clay liner plus the morter joints so an old flue obviously needs some attention from time to time .

Outside flues are the worst for creosote formation because of the cooling effect of the air .The fumes exit in a gasious form but cooled down they condense on the flue walls .If it's hot enough the stuff will pyralize leaving just a gritty film .That stuff will not burn even under the flame of an actelyene torch .The stuff that looks like road tar is the problem .That stuff will literally cook your goose .

Rambling on about this flue stuff .About a year before we moved where we are at now we replaced the furnace in the old house which is now a rental .

The new furnace was a natural gas higher efficiencey type as oppossed to a circa 1953 Reem .As such the flue temp was lowered a lot .As a result water vapor collected and seeped through the morter joints of the chimeny .I thought the freakin roof was leaking which needed replaced anyway ,so that was done .Still leaked ,ruined a freakin ceiling that cost me 600 to replace .

So after being somewhat stupid in my assumption finally pulled in a 5 inch aluminum liner and have had no problem since .Something to think about on gas heat replacement to an old house .Don't be dumb like me because it will cost you a bunch of money not to mention the frustration .

I have to put a aluminum liner in my aunts unlined chimney. She has an older gas furnace and a water heater going into it. The problem is it has a big offset in the attic. I have to see what size I can get to go through. Might have to tear it down to attic floor and go up with B-vent.

Do you have any trees older than 67 years in Sankt Petersburg, Andrew, or did they all get used for fuel during the siege of Leningrad?
I passed through Dresden some years back and noticed the complete lack of old trees, all were burned along with the city.

Do you have any trees older than 67 years in Sankt Petersburg, Andrew, or did they all get used for fuel during the siege of Leningrad?
I passed through Dresden some years back and noticed the complete lack of old trees, all were burned along with the city.
Of course there is, but I think these trees have survived only because at the time was not in Leningrad chainsaws ...When I file away these trees constantly bumping into splinters from bombs ...
As for Drezden - all questions to USA and England ...

Took my car to Bradenton last night for a track event (140 miles away). Blew the clutch to smithereens on the first pass, although I was hauling ass and having a great time up until that point. :lol: I'm really glad I put together that little boat winch for the trailer. Had the car loaded in 5 minutes by myself. With a little luck I'll have the car back together in time to race it again next weekend.

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

I had a hunch the clutch was going out and ordered this clutch kit about 2 hours before leaving for Bradenton yesterday. It has already shipped and should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. It's rated for 622 foot lbs of torque which is more than I'll ever make with a stock block.

Make power until you break something, then fix it better.:/: Nice that you can self-recover your car. It wouldn't take too many tow bills to pay for that trailer.

Back