How'd it go today?

Max, I am thoroughly enjoying reading about your work. Thank you for sharing your stories with us. :)

Thank you, Brian! I also like your posts! Work related to the trees, I began in early childhood. I was born and lived in

village
14 years.I loved then climbs a tree and look at the world from above. I subdue all the most powerful trees in the area. Then our family moved to live in St. Petersburg. Father and mother work in the garden and parks management. I helped them in their work. Then I went to the army. I served in the German Democratic Republic (currently there is no country - Germany reunited.) Even in the GDR, I sawed several trees -:). After serving in the Army, I went to work at the fire station (1 day - work, day 3 - rest), and also continued to look for jobs in parks and gardens. I'm pretty is widely known in narrow circles arboristik in St. Petersburg. - :) Pardon my English ...

SUre seems it... Loving our Russian brother's posts :)
Finished the last two trees of four mistletoe removal today. My hip hurts like hell and my blistered foot is soggy. Live oak removal tomorrow. Thank the GODS and Paul Cox for the Wraptor. I would be dead in the water right now. So long as I do not have to climb each one, I can get 3-5 hours a day in. That's enough to pay bills.

Pro-MM was referring to the previously described job of being a professional mess-maker-----> make and organized tree on the stem turning a big mess around the stump for someone else to be the professional clean-up person. I generally get to be a professional mess maker when I work for the State Parks system.

How is your harpoon used? For pulling, pushing, prying?

I enjoy your posts as well Andrew, can't wait for the winter pictures. Do you get to do much work then?

I've seen a lot of old film of your city, don't think I could handle your winter.:coldcold:

Saturday. Thought I'd have a sleep in but some jerk with a chainsaw in the next street woke me up early. Just as well really, grinding stumps all day at a school.

Got pretty hot this morning and what a dust bowl, great day to wear a heavy duty dust mask. Last four were in the shade but it cooled off about then.

The other day I was watching a guy work with a self propelled tracked grinder with remote control... damn cool!

I had some branches to get off a roof so I needed my old heavy duty 30' ladder. I haven't used it for a while so I had to cut it free of jasmin and passionfruit vines with my hedge trimmer.

Job went ok, but I swear that thing has put on 20 pounds or more since 1978.

Aluminum must get heavier as it gets older.:scratch:

As my 40foot Babcock wood extension ladder gained weight I learned a trick-I take the sections apart, set them up, then hook them together.

We finished emptying the old storage loft at the furniture plant of wood today.
Filled 1½ big dumpster with water damaged veneer and old weird cut-offs. ( the weird part being, once you've cut the sapwood off something because it is worthless, why keep it around for the next 3 decades. Did they expect old sapwood to become a hot item in the 21st century???)
Among all the crap we found some goodies, too.
25 boards of real Swietenia mahogany. Lovely wood, if the freight cost didn't make it impossible, I'd love to send some to Jay.
Apparently freight costs didn't matter 30 years ago, because we found a nice quantity of fine quartersawn oak boards, shipped here from Hokkaido and individually stamped and numbered.
Also some 200 staves of old growth Burma teak, which hasn't been sold here since the 60es.
And underneath a stack of scrapwood, a fine old growth redwood board 2"x10" x 18 feet which I can't wait to run through the planer and sander and turn into a bookshelf.

Selling the rest of the wood will make me some money, but finding that redwood plank sure made my day:)

P1020325.JPG P1020322.JPG P1020327.JPG P1020328.JPG

Some beautiful wood for certain. Such a great find.

Killed a live oak over a house in a few hours today. Sort of a favor/trade deal as the HO and family just does not have money to spare. I guess the BIL or someone butchered the thing and it was basically a 60 foot high broccoli stem over the house. And pretty much enough weight to crush one end of the mom's house. So I will get some day care out of it from her DIL and probably some labor on our property from the son. They used to be our tenent next door, so I trust them with it. He gets to do all the clean up as well. Take a day off tomorrow and rest up for the week to come. mioght get rained out part of it. See what shakes of it. See if I get some pictures from Rob to post later.

Those planks kind of remind me of a treasure hunt .You never know what nice stuff is inside of a log until you open it up .You'll certainly not find that stuff at Lowes .

Damn Stephen, after all this time looking at your avatar, I would think you wouldn't get that close to the fire.:P

Back