How'd it go today?

A story comes to mind about feral invasive species .Now weather it's factual or not I can't say but it goes like this .

From what's been said the Hawian islands have no snakes but with ships landing inport in olden days they soon became invaded with rats which of course bred like rats .Lots of them everywhere .Big ones .No snakes to eat the rats what to do what to do ? Didn't want snakes .

Aha a great grand plan was hatched ,mongoose .Problem was and unforeseen at the time is the fact a rat is nocternal and Rikki Tikki Tavi is active during the day . So now it seems they don't have to just deal with big rats they have mongoose by the zillions to deal with .

Again, if I'm reading the stump correctly...

With essentially no hinge wood and a huge full width dutchman, precision is about the last attribute I'd be inclined to give it.

Crap day. Hurt my already sore knee when I fell down a hidden hole. That was a few hours after the lads i work with fed the middle of my PI rope into the chipper. Thankfully it cut it, not pulled in or I would have been in a whole world of shit.......

Again, if I'm reading the stump correctly...

With essentially no hinge wood and a huge full width dutchman, precision is about the last attribute I'd be inclined to give it.

This tree was very rotten and had a tilt in the opposite direction from the desired direction of fall. Therefore, for its was used winch ...

In that case the deep dutchman and no hingewood was even less wise, in my opinion. With a compromised hinge and the generally slow uptake of a winch, the possibility of loosing the tree to the side of the intended lay was increased by forcing the hinge to fail as soon as the dutchman closed. With back lean, that would have been even before the tree got over center to the face, I expect.

It worked for you, obviously the tree is in the lay indicated by the face...but I never in a million years would have done it that way.

I hate to say it Andrew, but I fear one day that technique is gonna bite you in the behind. Fifteen years of using it is far too long to be staying lucky for me to expect it to continue forever.

But that's just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it :).

Not that I don't agree, Burnham, but it doesn't apper to be a whole tree, only a topless stem.

He means: in what direction was your backup rope to be pulled and how?

Und niemand versteht hier Deutch. Nur ich und vielleicht noch ein oder zwei andere.

Not that I don't agree, Burnham, but it doesn't apper to be a whole tree, only a topless stem.

True enough, and the shorter it is, the lower the risk...but that one looked tall enough to give me pause. For the life of me though, I fail to see any advantages to this method of Andrew's for a face and back cut. I only see potential for losing the tree sideways early in the pull.

Back