How'd it go today?

Rain again today. I ripped the top off my old shop Saturday, and started rebuilding it. Just got back with more lumber this morning and got felt on the roof when the rain hit. I guess it's a good thing I have nearly nothing booked this week, as I have PLENTY to do here!

Got to my second job today and needed to set up on a relatively narrow brick street, so I tried to hug the curb in order to leave room for cars to get by. I scraped a sharp edge with my tire and popped the sidewall. I have a spare but it was at home, so I called my neighbor who wasn't working today and was available to bring it to me. I also had the lug wrench and cheater pipe on the truck to remove the tire myself so I was able to save a service call and about $300 by doing it myself. I have a short day tomorrow so I'll be heading to the tire store. The inside tire is due to be replaced as well so I'll throw two new ones on that side. The two on the other side are good for another 6 months or more (about a half inch of tread).

Frigging tires.

Worked today and my shoulder did better than expected, but the rest of me didn't. Got some minor heatstroke going, finished up the big job of the day and called it quits a bit early. If it's not one thing it's another.

Bummer Skwerl, we just got all new tires on the 3500, 6 total, long overdue for the back ones.

That sucks Justin, heatstroke is no fun at all.

Felled a big Burr Oak today, maybe 40" DBH, had a slight forward lean. Bore cut the sketchy side and was working my way around when it cracked a bit, trying to barber chair. Luckily I realized it with a good amount of wood left, so I was able to bore the other side and set up my hinge, and made my trip cut. Got her down nice and smooth besides that. Besides raking, clean up was a breeze with the Gehl, 3 1/2 trailer loads of wood so far, going back with a set for forks for the 25' of big trunk wood thats left.

Stepped on a big bee in my shop yesterday. I often will work barefoot when not using machines. It was bigger than a honey bee and not as big as a bumble bee, but kind of black in color. It jabbed me, but no reaction beyond the initial pain. I quickly put on some suction and a salve. Probably one of the safer places to get stung...? Things fly into my shop and get trapped there, and sometimes can be seen crawling around on the floor a day or two later, probably dehydrated. I have encountered some giant hornets that way. :O I have to be careful about getting stung again.

Took a live oak leader from over a garage today and a broken top over a gazebo. Raised a couple crowns and took out some dead little trees. Nuttin remarkable. Felt good to be aloft though even if it was 103. Wraptor is a big help with this heat. Come down, cool off, Wraptor back up. Helps keep the core temp down not expending the energy climbing up into canopy. So it seems anyay.

I wonder about these Raptors...... You guys have bragged them up enough that the wheels in my head turn sometimes.

Today was typical of my three day off period of a f--d up work schedual thanks to Alan M the same guy that screwed over Rotex Robert .The first day you rest .The second day you do a little something and the third you work your freakin azz off .So it went .

Went to my shop ,weed wacked the weeds and sprayed Round Up and picked up two rail road ties .Went back home ,used the ties to crib up my machinery trailer and side hauled a 6,000 pound white oak log.Took me two hours to get that heavy SOB out of the woods and out front where I can mill it .

So that done here comes the mail man with the parts to fix the BG 85 Stihl blower .About an hour on that but my goodness what a nice blower that thing is .I can't believe 28 cc's can blow that much air .I have a total of 48 bucks getting it fixed ,not bad:D

Got pictures but I'm way too tired and too many whistle pops for now ,later .

I used to know a guy that pretty much only went around barefoot, even in the winter (not in snow). He had a very thick callous on the bottom of his feet. Your feet do toughen up if you go barefoot a lot. It feels healthy to me. When you can walk on gravel, you're getting tough.

Back