How'd it go today?

I burn a little pine along. I don't care for it because it yields little heat and no coals. I knew an old man once who cleaned chimneys for folks. He swore the folks who burned some pine along had cleaner chimneys than those who did not. It's common around here to burn green wood, which yields lots of tar/creosote.

I have customers that like a mix of cedar, pine and oak. They mix it up to their needs, be it kindling to start the fire or take the edge off a chill with little residual heat. Or full out heat from the oak on the cold days. I you cure the wood proper, the creosote build up is minimal.

I burn my stove HOT and wild every morning for a little bit. Real hot. Lots of air and small dry wood. Cleans out any build up from burning down and smoldering late at night.

+1. I do the same every morning. Not just to get rid of the night's creosote, but to get it hopping after it's died down during the night.

More and more people are burning it in my area, since it is cheap or free. When I moved into my current shop the first year, it was during winter, and all I could scrounge around was Pine, and sometimes wet. I couldn't believe how much the chimney pipe frequently loaded up. I don't burn it now, but I do hear people say that if it is well seasoned, it is ok to use. Still, it seems like there are the hazards as already mentioned.

You could probabley get by with it an old non air tight like a "Round oak " or Warm Morning design .

They claim on the left coast that Douglas fire is good firewood .Evidently it isn't all pitchy like most pines .

On that if you look up the btu's per cord on Doug fir it's relatively high ,surprising .We haven't any here save what might be in a piece of lumber so I can't really say how it is .Makes good kindling though .

Chris, I love to see kids working with dad. I have no doubt she will remember working with you for ever

Willie, my goal is to send my kids out into society with an understanding that work=reward. I'm sure you feel the same. Now, it doesnt always play out that way, but I still want them to enter society with motivation and a strong work ethic in any career path they choose.

That seems a tough one, raising kids to exemplify your good intentions. I think about the best you can do is give them some information that helps them to figure it out for themselves, or place them in a situation where they have to figure it out for themselves to survive. The will of survival is a strong one.

That is one reason I put the girl next door to work.
Sure she is cute and a hard worker, but I could easily hire in an out of work forestry guy for the summer.( There are plenty of those around these days!)

Clara works hard and reaps the rewards of working hard, which will teach her something to help her get along in the world.

We have a minimum wage here and then a minimum wage for people under 18.
We told her right away that if she works like an adult, she'll be paid like one.
Not minimum wage either, but the going rate for this kind of work.

I know from her mom that she is really proud of getting full pay.

Since I don't have kids, this is kind of a parenting outlet for me:lol:

Saved another tree ... sorta ...

The Lady wanted a small honey locust removed but settled for heavy pruning. :D
Saved a tree - well, for a little while, anyway. :)

me thinks, it's just a stay-of-execution ... :(

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HpkqSsl-N-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The tree and I had a long talk about that. :lol: It'll be interesting to see how {if} it recovers.
Most of those limbs were dead - except for the one big branch {/co-dom}.
Locust are pretty good at putting up with losing branches to storms & maroons. :lol:

I'm tired, another stupid crazy weekend! Got hooked up to go fishing Saturday morning, I couldn't refuse getting to go drift fishing for cats! Went to bed at midnight, up at 3:45am, had a good time though. Just landed one 8# channel, but it was worth it!
Got home at noon to a VERY unhappy wife, the AC in the house had gone out again! Tried to get them out that night but just got phone tag!
Neighbor came home, had blown a hole in their radiator.
SIL calls, her hot water heater went out! 11:30pm I got the plumber lined up for Sunday, I burned a big favor!
I was hot, tired and pissed Sunday morning! Got the radiator and thermostats changed for the neighbor, my favor turned out to be a $15 heating element, but I knew I wasn't getting a hot water heater out of a basement if needed!
Still hot, still pissed, it's been 103-108 here, I get a call at 9am this morning asking if my AC is working now? "No it's not working, the tech hasn't even been here yet!" I guess he'd been here, knocked on the door, got no answer then went ahead and fixed it! It's working fine now!
Damn $75 spider! A spider had crawled into the contactor( fancy name for a relay), got squished and prevented it from losing and making contact!
Only in my world!

Started the day out with a slightly leaning, partially uprooted water oak, leaning toward, but not quite over a house (about 30" diameter, 80ish' tall). Two hours had it limbed, topped and felled.

Then on the another job. Limb, top, block down and drop two pines, one pretty good size, the other a bit smaller. Three and a half hours on that job.

Then on to the job where Carl and I are getting a tree off a house. Two hours climbing around on it, limbing and brushing it out to lighten it up.

I's tired!

I've been going brutally here. Had a pretty good-sized storm for this area last friday. It blew over alot of trees, that I don't get any of, and also damaged/compromised quite a few that I've been overrun with trying to keep up with doing and keep up with my normal schedule. I'm booked really far out and this is traditionally a slow part of the season so I'm happy but exhausted. The storm blew it over the top, quite uncommon for these parts.

Today was brutal. Went to a play in the woods with my family last night. Wright Robert and his Robber Bride at caravan farm theatre, it was pretty cool but kinda long so today I was beat. 1st I got my bucket stuck in a old garden, shoulda been solid as all get out but suprise, suprise it wasn't. We were taking a failed elm down that part of was lying on the roof. Anyways get unstuck, then one of the quick connects on the mini goes on me sort of near the end of the job. So I load it on the trailer as I can't jimmy it and drop a heavy steel ramp onto my foot. It's sore and we finish the job with no mini, get home exhausted and a u-joint on my ghetto 1-ton starts squeeling like a stuck pig coming down the driveway.

So I've wrenched the broken parts off and waiting for my wife to get back from town with the new parts and thinking to myself. You know what, today wasn't that bad really. Treework rules as a profession.

Back