How'd it go today?

Had a good day today. Didn't make a fortune, didn't take a loss. A good day though. Other then the rear drum brake on the passenger side of my 350 is howling and making a horrible grind coming to a stop. I think my 4 month old shoes I put in must have crumbled.

It got hot and we went home...

...TRIPLE DIGIT HEAT TO CONTINUE IN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS...

...INCREASING THREAT OF THUNDERSTORMS IN THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERT THIS WEEK...

HIGH PRESSURE OVER CENTRAL CALIFORNIA WILL MAINTAIN TRIPLE DIGIT HEAT UNTIL AT LEAST FRIDAY IN THE SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY...LOWER SIERRA NEVADA FOOTHILLS AND THE KERN COUNTY DESERT.

HIGH TEMPERATURES IN THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY AND KERN COUNTY DESERT WILL RANGE FROM 100 TO 114 DEGREES TODAY AND WEDNESDAY. TEMPERATURES COULD APPROACH RECORD READINGS ON WEDNESDAY WITH HEAT INDICIES REACHING AS HIGH AS 110 DEGREES. THE HOTTEST LOCATIONS IN THE SIERRA NEVADA FOOTHILLS WILL BE NEAR 106 DEGREES. HIGH TEMPERATURES COULD EVEN REACH NEAR 102 IN YOSEMITE VALLEY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

MOISTURE IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN TO FLOW FROM THE SOUTHEAST INTO THE REGION BY WEDNESDAY. AS A RESULT...IN THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA...THE TEHACHAPI MOUNTAINS AND THE KERN COUNTY DESERT AREAS...THERE IS AN INCREASING THREAT OF AFTERNOON AND EVENING THUNDERSTORMS. THIS THREAT IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...BUT THE BETTER CHANCES WILL BE THURSDAY AND WILL CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING.

PERSONS PLANNING TIME OUTDOORS OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS SHOULD PRACTICE HEAT SAFETY TIPS. KEEP YOUR BODY HYDRATED WITH PLENTY OF WATER...WEAR LIGHT LOOSE-FITTING CLOTHING AND AVOID STRENUOUS ACTIVITY...ESPECIALLY DURING THE HOTTEST PART OF THE DAY. KEEP IN MIND THAT PETS NEED PLENTY OF WATER AND SHADE TOO.

IF YOU LIVE IN...OR ARE PLANNING TRAVEL INTO...THE MOUNTAINS OR DESERT...BE ALERT FOR THUNDERSTORMS LATER THIS WEEK. LOCALLY HEAVY RAIN...GUSTY WINDS...LIGHTNING AND HAIL WILL BE POSSIBLE FROM THUNDERSTORMS. REMEMBER...WHEN THUNDER ROARS...HEAD INDOORS

Was hot here also. Skipped lunch so I could do a quick second job, done by 3pm and the thunderstorms rolled in by 4pm. When it's hot like this we can get thunderstorms almost every day due to the sea breezes coming in from either side of the state. About 4pm they collide over the middle of the state and BOOM!

You know it's one thing to get 100 plus temps in these parts which does happen on occasion although not as long as it has been .I'll bet though that 100 in parts of Canada where it seldom happens is a brain burner .Geeze that would suck .

Completely knackered...a day and a half in the blistering heat clearing some woods for a new home somewhere down the line for somebody. Mostly Oaks, that stuff is hard! A bit windy riding the crane hook. I don't so much like getting spun around to the other side of the tree and shat like that. Not too proud to admit that after hours of it, my nerves get shot. It doesn't get to be really shaking, but it sort of feels that way. It can wear you out. Even the operator said, "A hard day, ay". Glad to finish up.

Finished a three dayer misc prune and small removal job. Tomorrow I've got a crane coming for an Oak on a hill. Not a big tree, just a crappy spot. Going to try to vid tape it and make a video for a website.

102 During a PO removal kinda sux. But we finished one side of a fence line we have been working on. Don't have to go back until September. Almost got hit by a rattler the other day. Have to be real careful in this weather working in the brush.

I managed finally to get out to my mothers' house to do some storm clean up which took most of the day .

Odd silver maple ,old as the hills .It is about 5 or 6 foot at the base but branchs out in 6 or 7 different directions .One segment blew over ,about 65 feet of it .Nearly a cord of wood which isn't all that good to burn but it does produce heat .

Now here's the kicker .In the crotch of that mess where all those trunks branch out was an old brown beer bottle .Now did I hid it there or did my dear old dad ? If the label is still intact and it says Burger it was the old man .

Feel refreshed tonight hired another climber (4yrs with another local co. Bucket and spikes only.) Ran ropes as a groundsman for the first time since 2005, my neck is sore! Feels good as I so need to focus more on the over all business.

Nice large removal today no frills till the bottom. Base cut to tip it was good then to making it small enough for the loader I find steel four separate times. Twice I resharpened then a new one that will need it. Get it whittled down to find a leaf spring. Surely a first for me!
4b5b51ad-7cf7-5c63.jpg

Embedded in the middle, 4ft worth:(

Damn! That sucks finding steel like that. Wow!

Working in the insane heat here too, High 90's feels like low 100's. I can't stand it, it's killing me. I've been shortening up my days a few times this week, leaving the floater jobs to add up that usually round out a day.

I'd really consider it but we don't usually get the intense heat for to long. I'm working 6am to 2pm right now, pissing some people off but I don't GAS, can't get a days work done otherwise. The last three hours or so are frigging insane. By 7am this morning I was soaked, it's possibly hotter here then I've ever seen before. And that's after having our wettest spring ever. Seasons are getting stronger around here that's for sure.

I start at four in the morning, when it is really hot.
Ditchclearing or whacking weeds in the forests, no-one around to complain.

When my dad turned 80, I gave him a trip in a hot air balloon.
We still haven't been up, but it seems like the next couple of weeks may bring good balloooning weather.

The Baloon guy asked me if I could prune a large copper beech by his house into a balloon shape, to work as an advertisement.

I was somewhat leery about doing it, heck of a way to treat a tree, but then he told me that it was either that, or take it down.
So I gave him an estimate for the initial job and the yearly run over with the hedge clippers.
Then I mentioned that my partner, Richard; has two young boys, so an exchange for a balloon trip would be fine.

He just emailed me that he was fine with that, so in a couple of weeks they are going flying. Richard just couldn't wait to tell the boys:D

I LOVE trading work for stuff like that.

I just had the old ( read B.C.) wiring in my office and living room upgraded to modern standard, thanks to a Norway Maple I took down at the home of an electrician:)

Back