How'd it go today?

When I turned for money, I always wore an Air-Trend. Plus I have a powerfull dust extractor by the lathe.

The good thing about the Trend is that it keeps you from being hit in the faceby broken off pieces of the rotating wood.

My Trend died a while ago, and since I don't turn much anymore. I simply haven.,t gotten around to buying a new one.
Stupid, I know, but at least I wear a filter mask when sanding.

I don't do any turning but the sawdust of oak going though a table saw causes me sneezing fits .Chips from a chainsaw or running through a thickness planer has no ill effects .

I think he is referring to "turning tricks"....

I knew better at the time but I secured a failing tree for a property management company the other day while they tried to get the property owners permission to hire me. I get a call today from a weekend warrior asking where we can meet so he can give back my rigging. :dur: I don't blame him a bit, I need to just ignore property management companies, biggest waste of my time.

Willie, I fired my last property management client a year ago. Did 4 jobs for them in a year and always took 5-6 weeks to get paid despite lots of promises and agreements before starting the work. It wasn't the wait, it was the runaround. Last week I almost did a job for a construction company but got the same runaround vibes so I walked before starting the job.

On the other hand it looks like I'm going to have a few open days next week. Maybe I'm getting too picky. On the other hand I've been pushing hard for a while and feeling run down, never left the house today and not feeling particularly energetic.

I think he is referring to "turning tricks"....

I knew better at the time but I secured a failing tree for a property management company the other day while they tried to get the property owners permission to hire me. I get a call today from a weekend warrior asking where we can meet so he can give back my rigging. :dur: I don't blame him a bit, I need to just ignore property management companies, biggest waste of my time.

Depending on what the rigging was, I'd be concerned that it had been used in a way I wouldn't approve of. I hope you collected at least something for your trouble....

I secured an oak once (forget the variety) that had a split in a fork. I went up above the cracked fork and used chain/binders to close the split back up and secure it. It was late one afternoon, and we were going out of town the next morning. I told the guy I could be back to take it down in 4 days, I believe it was. No imminent danger to the house, so he said okay. I ran by when we got home, and he'd had another guy take it down for him.

I had a deal something like that at a camp ground my wifes' cousin helps out at .

Storm blew down a couple trees blocking the road .Cut them up and saved the log from a black wanut he said I could have .The owner thought different and said I had to buy it .I told him never to call me again for anything .He'll be lucky to get the time of day from me or the sweat from my scrotum were he dying of thirst to pull a trick like that on me .:X

Not worried about misusing the gear unless he used it on another job, gear I used could have hung a couple trees that small with no concern. Just a waste of time dealing with property management companies. Maybe I will tell them I do for hire consults only.

I can't abide by people that have no sense of loyalty after you have helped them out, at least to the extent that they can't be courteous. What a fuddy-duddy I have become. :roll:

I avoid property management companies. In my experience, the name of their game is to skimp by as cheap as possible. They want the work done yesterday, and they want to starve you on payment. Anytime I've dealt with them, they usually have a half assed, bottom dollar chimp coordinating their projects, and usually that moron feels he is extremely important and its HIS money he is spending. They've always tried to schmooze me with BS promises of great jobs to come on their 100,000 other properties they own.

I have decided not long ago that I don't work through middle men. I've gotten calls from GC's to come give them bids on residential properties they are overhauling. I ask to deal directly with the owner, and if they wont agree, I move on. Middle men suck because they aren't the ones parting with money, and they arwnt the ones recieving money. Therefore, they can't be expected to take business seriously.

Yup, they make money playing middle man, even if they are jamming up the contractors, they're still getting paid. That, is why I have found them to be useless.

But I'd love to be one. Making money w/o doing a thing except lining some ducks up in a row.

Just did some landscaping work around our property, and spend the afternoon in the park with Amy, Dahlia, and another family that we are becoming good friends with, so far as I can tell. People that we really jive with. Our midwife came directly (and in a hurry) from the birth of their second daughter to deliver Dahlia, only five hours apart.

A lazy Sunday. I've forgotten what those are over the last, well, forever. I'm trying to remember now that there is a baby on board.

Guess we all have to slow down and remember to nuture the flowers from time to time.
Kat had to be at work at 5am so I slept in. She dropped the van off to me on her lunch break and I went and got the kids some cold cut preppings for some sammiches. Cleaned some house, made some lunch and took Kat and the kids swimming for the afternoon. Came home and lit the fire pit for dinner. Good day over all. Never got everything I wanted done, but I'll get an early start tomorrow and bask in the day we had together :)

Went and killed an innocent little pondo that had decided to grow too close to a couple buildings on a cut enbankment behind a garage. Had to use a 4:1 MA to lift the limbs and line them up to the upper level after setting the zip line high in the tree. Fun Fun. Katy helped me with it and Rob ran short on his day, showed up and chipped it. Out by noon. Had to lower the last 3 four foot sections down into a little 2' narrow space to buck them up and extract them. Embankment had erosion issues so minimal impact on everything. Smooth as silk and Katy got to learn some more rigging. Seth helped her with the Z rig. Seth has learned a lot just working with Rob and I. Was a good day. Go back tomorrow to do some more work over there. I have had my gear stowed over there with the chipper now for 5 days (7 if you count my days off). Felt good not having to shuffle gear around much over the last week :)

Went to work, got wet (another of inch of rain this aft :( ) - getting real bored of this weather - that's 2 1/2 inches of bloody rain since friday now. Everywhere is flooding

Back