How'd it go today?

Scott, I have one about that size and had my electrician neighbor wire up a plug at the meter/main breaker. Now I can flip the breaker from the power grid and then plug the generator into the house. If I turn off all the 220 breakers then it will run everything else within reason. Nice being able to still flip on a light switch instead of using flashlights.

I'm going to make one up like that. (I'm assuming you mean a male end to plug in to the generator, and a male box on the breaker panel?) I currently have two 110s that I use. I just take the panel off the outside box and wire one leg into each side of a 220 breaker that I have in there just for that. I've had my dad's old (like 30-years-old) Craftsman generator over here for years, but I have to tinker with it every time I use it. I hate Tecumseh engines!

Yes, Scott. Here's mine.

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2178.jpg

Actually, I was talking about the box end being male (recessed), so that the cord end doesn't have exposed, energized ends. I looked while ago, but couldn't find a pic. In other words, the cord would be traditional, male/female, and the box has male prongs recessed so as not to come in contact with anything. Make sense? It's been a while since I saw one.

That's my set up Brian. A fair number of linemen have been rocked by people that didn't shut the main switch off.

I don't remember what mine cost. Steve made it up for me and only charged me the cost of materials, I think it was about $50 just for the cord but I couldn't say for sure. That Amazon item looks perfect unless you have an electrician buddy that owes you a favor.

I can do it myself, no problem. I wired the house myself, and had planned to wire one of these in when I built, just let it slip my mind. How long is your cord? I'd love to have one 50' long, but I'll prolly throw together a plywood cube to put over the generator anyway to muffle sound and keep rain off of it, so 20' will be enough to get by. One of these days, when I can afford it, I want one of those nice propane generators that kicks on automatically when there's an outage.

My cord is long enough to position the generator under the back porch overhang and still reach the plug at the meter, plus about 2' for slack.

Once I get power run to my "barn", I am planning to see how well I can power the house backfeeding from there. That would put the generator about 60' further from the house. I'm not sure how well this generator will pull everything. I usually have to alternate between the deep freezers. I generally keep the fridge running the whole time, except when I cut everything but the pump to run up some water. My dad's old generator won't pull 2 freezers and the fridge at the same time without sounding like it's dying. I alternate between them every couple of hours. I'm hoping this one might run all three at once. All I'll have to do then is cut them while running the pump. Still can't run the central, so hopefully no outages until cooler weather.

Well.. lost a router yesterday after I got back home. On a borrowed unit at the moment. My desk
top is now off line however. Bummer.
Kitty rescue got nixed. Some camp authorities came over as I was setting up and could GAS about the kitten up the tree. Told me I would have to submit a copy of my full GL policy for 3 million minimum to their BOD to get approval to take a kitten out of a tree. Told them I only carry a small 1 mil policy... so nope. I packed up.
There were some real pissed off counselers with some really upset kids as I was leaving.
They have been using volunteers to clean up the wind throws up there with standind root balls the height of a house. No insurance nuttin. I was explained to that that is a whole lot less risk and a different game than climbing (by Mr. retired pole climber) a tree to retrieve a kitten. And that no one should ever retrieve a cat that has climbed a tree as it is too risky. How he and his fellows would just knock them off the poles with their hot sticks....

Jeez... in this day of law suit bull shat... what has a guy got to do to get a little pussy out of a tree.
Told them to call the fire department and the catnip society and let them argue with the idiot.

My daughters computer speakers are broke and they are on Skype to our family in Sweden. They have been on there still now going on 3 hours! I said, I thought the speakers were broke and they said that is why they are on the phone to them at the same time!!! ARG!!!!!!

That generater business ,I could run two refridgeraters ,the blower on the wood burner,microwave ,TV ,well pump and an electric skillet plus the lights .All on 5 KW .I could have ran the computer but didn't trust what might have been an unstable power source .Fully loaded it would burn about a half gallon of gasoline per hour .

A little tip on refridgeraters .If you can run the thing 15 minute out of two hours and don't keep opening the door stuff will never thaw out and spoil .

Man, it was HOT/HUMID today. I feel for those poor souls w/o power or those other poor souls who lost their house from fires.

How did we ever survive w/o HVAC???

Good but hot day today. Cleaned up a storm damaged maple at a neighbors, than half a pine at another clients place. Love the mini, turned that pine clean up from a back breaking, miserable long brush/wood drag into 3 or 4 effortless trips. Saved us at least a good hour, probably more. Can't wait to get the Gehl and see what that baby can do!

Also went and saw Ted, great movie, super hilarious, highly recommend it to anyone! If you like Seth McFarlane at all, see this movie. It's like Family Guy on crack haha!

Good but hot day today. Cleaned up a storm damaged maple at a neighbors, than half a pine at another clients place. Love the mini, turned that pine clean up from a back breaking, miserable long brush/wood drag into 3 or 4 effortless trips. Saved us at least a good hour, probably more. Can't wait to get the Gehl and see what that baby can do!

I'll make you a deal on a dynamite set of forks, Adrian. With them, the Gehl loaded some big nuggets today. I admit the Gehl played an important part, but the forks were definitely handy. My honesty compels me to admit that the lift capacity lost by using a different set of forks will not be over 10%. :D

All kidding aside, that Gehl is one awesome machine. Puts my 42-horse Kubota to shame.

I saw man, I told Carl I had no idea he owned a set of forks haha. Told me they were yours and that explained it lol. You guys moved some big azzed pieces of oak with them. Nice work. You climb that thing or was it just a flop?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341273823.613943.jpg

Average dimensions are 50"x60"x60" long. To put it in perspective, the tires on the loader are 30" in diameter.

Climber, Adrian.

I had to climb it and take all the limbs off, then cut two or three blocks off below the bottom fork. Big sucker for sure! There's a bigger tree in the back yard there that I had to take a dead limb off of. I wish I'd taken a picture of the one in back. Might be the biggest I've ever climbed, as far as trunk diameter.

My main man is out grinding stumps and I've been working on some fencing around my place today, that is until the thunder/lightning/hail rolled in. Ugly out.

Waiting for final approval on a decent sized park job that I'm the winning bid on. Just need a confirmation on the dates, about a weeks work with 2 1/2 to 3 1/2' cottonwoods. Removals mostly. Working in a park is always nice!

Fired my client for today and tomorrow so I am going to get some much needed stuff done here at the house and then do a fill in job tomorrow.
This gal I was supposed to work on I have for over five years. She has been getting to be more of a pain each year. Tried to tell me what crew to bring to do the work. Big mistake.

Back