How'd it go today?

He's letting me practice, you can say. He's up it 100% of the time with his crew, so he enjoys the break being on the ground. He helped me on two trees this week with it, my hourly on those two jobs was incredible. Amazing tool.

That's what I am saying, climbing is fun and all.... but this business is about making money.

I traded in the 2000 Morbak 13 for a new Morbark 15r this last week. It has a winch, hydro turn chute, and hydro jackstand. With the winch and the mini you can really make stuff disappear... filled up the 20 yard chip box in 30 minutes this morning. Just need a gehl and a knuckleboom and it will almost be like magic.

Yeah a few nice upgrades are always nice.

I just got home for lunch, didn't bother pack a lunch seeing the job's just down the street. A few minutes ago I got a heavy leaning large maple on the ground what was leaning over a greenhouse . Speedlined the top and guyed the tree to my pickup which I then felled the remaining stem to the ground. Would have made a great photograph but the camera's batteries were dead.:pissed:
I was even more:pissed:this morning when I started the job which included to remove another tree in my written estimate.
The owner says in a arrogant manner "I talked to my wife and we decided to only take out one tree". Myself originally being in a good mood I just said OK.
After mulling over it doing the one [toughest] tree, later on when I caught him and his wife's attention I told them "You realize the price for this tree is based on a discount for removing 2 trees don't you?"
They quickly changed their tune a bit and said "yeah take it out too then". But still with some arrogance.

I could see them being a young couple from families with money, they were just trying to get pleasure from pulling the wool over an old treeguy who's sweating his ballz trying to earn a living.:X

Had to go this morning and get down a black jack that had failed in a recent storm. One fork had previously fallen across the customer's driveway. A few weeks ago, the remaining fork broke over into a neighboring white oak. After setting a line from the ground around the broken fork, running it through a fork in a neighboring black jack, and securing it to a porty, I Wraptored up the white oak and whittled away at it until it broke free and swung out. Bunched the brush for the mini, then dropped the spar and loaded it all up.

Then I had to go to another job and get two storm-broken limbs down out of a big red oak that were hanging over a small outbuilding.

Glad to be done. Thermometer says it's 101.3 outside....

I would do what willard did. Id scrap the first bid and write up a fair bid for the chosen tree alone. It isn't a trick in my eyes at all. Each tree has an individual value. If the customer revised the work order, it would only make sense for the business man to do the same.

Finished up a small job today, started an hour early and we were done by 12:30 and called it a day. Hit around 103, 105F here today, it was around 95F when we quit, so no one complained about getting off early today lol. Came home and ended up taking a nap for a few, that heat can really drain your energy. Gonna try to stay inside this weekend, gonna stay in the 100F range all weekend they say.

Hi 60s, low 70's today. mostly overcast. The sun did threaten to come out for a bit. Grey this morning, but bright and cloudy now at 6pm. comfy t shirt and shorts weather or pants.

Two brace rods and a cable in a doug-fir with a cracked fork. Some pine hangers. Pitchy day today for a change.

Tomorrow, knock down some firs and madronas.

Yesterday went to talk to a tree risk assessor that works campgrounds at another agency. Saw that our outfit is pretty good.

We just got a grant for some forest health dollars. My supervisor and I are pushing restoration/ preservation measures around some or the old-growth trees in the parks that are getting visitor impacts in the camp grounds and day use areas.

Only about 90 here today and not much humidity. Sure don't envy you guys down south!

Split wood for two days at a clients house instead of mistletoe removal. I guess they have a bear roaming about the place and he/she keeps tipping the rounds and rolling them down the hill foraging for insects or something. Some good grubs in there anyway as it was a beetle kill pine. They were worried about the wood hitting a pump house or garage, so ..... I split and moved most the stuff that would be a threat. Anything I could not get to is chocked or too small to worry about. Crazy few days. Rob and Wyatt were weed whacking the place. They got several acres down in 3 days. Probably about 5 more days and it should be done. :dontknow: Hopefully I will be doing tree work instead of wood by then there.

100° today. Severe thunderstorms just went through the area - thousands without power and another HOT one tomorrow. Guess I'll be regrading the lane again and scouting for down trees again.
:D

I would do what willard did. Id scrap the first bid and write up a fair bid for the chosen tree alone. It isn't a trick in my eyes at all. Each tree has an individual value. If the customer revised the work order, it would only make sense for the business man to do the same.

I generally price each tree individually to them to begin with. In fact, most of my bids include a price (per tree) just to get it on the ground, as well as a clean-up price. I do make adjustments for multiple trees, and as they add more trees, they get more value, but I specify that it's based on the volume they are wanting cut. What's fun is bidding a dozen trees where the customer is undecided. I usually sketch their yard/trees and number them to keep track of trees/prices.

100° today. Severe thunderstorms just went through the area - thousands without power and another HOT one tomorrow. Guess I'll be regrading the lane again and scouting for down trees again.
:D

Update: Local news reported 80,000+ pwr outage - Two houses struck by lightning - One man in the hospital :(
No trees down within sight of the house :) ... but, lots of debris ... lane is badly washed-out :(
Haven't surveyed the area, yet :/:

Just got back from dropping the boys off at camp and picking up my splitter. Turns out, there is a kitten stuck at about 100' up a ponderosa there howling. The counsellors at the camp says the kids are stressing about it so I am on my way back for my first feline removal. Wraptor should come in handy :D

Just got back from dropping the boys off at camp and picking up my splitter. Turns out, there is a kitten stuck at about 100' up a ponderosa there howling. The counsellors at the camp says the kids are stressing about it so I am on my way back for my first feline removal. Wraptor should come in handy :D

Next to the Wraptor, a pet taxi comes in real handy....AND GLOVES!!!!

Just send the Wraptor up on it's own.
It'll scare the kitten into jumping.

Problem solved!

The heck with a cage. Bulky and clumsy. A bookbag is handy too. Anything that is compact on your hip to keep your hands free. I grab em by the scruff and the base of the tail, together. Those back legs are brutal on a scared cat. A base of tail hold keeps them in control and won't hurt them. Face first down into the bag. When ive gone tail first they've tried to jump back out. The last few cats I've rescued were worn out and mellow. My cat Riley went from being 11 lbs to 5 pounds after a few weeks on the loose and 4 days in a tree in a heat wave. He didn't fight me at all. He was like "awww man, you're a sight for sore eyes Chris"

I like to pull the taxi up to me after I get up there. Often the cat is used to one anyway, and I once had a cat go into it on its own. Then, once it's latched, ease 'er down. A bag would work, I'm sure, just never had one handy. My first cat rescue, I just held it in my lap and brought it down. I wore several scratches from that one....

Back