How'd it go today?

OUCH! Be careful Adrian.
Started butchering that gray pine we just could not pull up hill. Took some pics before my battery died. I really wanted to get some of the neighbors stumps ... Maybe tomorrow.
Here is some fodder. The rope broke right at the bight of the running bowline on the running end going to the pullers. I did not get any pics and it is currently burning. Still pinned under the codoms.
The open area above the tree is the lay we wanted. The white fence below is what I am worried about if we lose a round. We'll tie each round so it does not run down the 5% slope to the gate.
Fodder...

Attachments

• P2270001.jpg
    P2270001.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 9
  • P2270002.jpg
    P2270002.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 9
  • P2270003.jpg
    P2270003.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 9
  • P2270004.jpg
    P2270004.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 10
  • P2270007.jpg
    P2270007.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 8
  • P2270008.jpg
    P2270008.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 8
  • P2270009.jpg
    P2270009.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 9
  • P2270010.jpg
    P2270010.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 10
It has been so windy that I'm doing work aloft in winds up to about 30mph. You are right-- 50 is too stinking much...........but I got the fruit trees done(from the ground) before the winds got above 35. Doing stumps in 50mph sucked because of wind-chill and chip scattering but it wasn't a safety challenge.

Felled 23 doug-fir with laminated root rot near Parks' cabins. Most all were dead and rotten, of which a few still had something identifyable as wood in them. Got to dump a 36" x 120' one into the woods. It still had some green on it. Got a video of it, but the shooter turned the camera sideways, oh well. Its in the truck, so maybe I'll post it later in Tree Felling Vids.

Get a boat ride tomorrow to an island Park. Good sized failing cedar tipped 30 degrees toward a sewer treatment plant. Should have a D4 Cat to assist the situation, if the Maintenance staff got it running.

geeze, glad your OK.

That's a good idea though, with sound wood of course. :)

Thanks man. And yep, Dad's talking to Stokes, the guys who made our orchard ladders, they custom make stuff as well, and we're looking into getting an aluminum piece made that clips onto the steps, maybe 10-12 feet long, much safer and more secure than the wood lol.

I have five removals, small stuff, two crabs, one medium river birch, and two yews to rip out with stumps to follow on Friday. I gotta wait for diggers.

Sweet, will do man.

Rained out here big time today. Had severe thunder storms rolling through, tornado watches all around, heard Elizabethtown got hit my a tornado, they're about 45 minutes west of us. Majority of it has passed now I think.

Went and looked at some tents for the trip today, ended up buying a pair of Kayland boots while I was in there, normally $200, got them for $100. Really nice boot, very light weight compared to my Trango's. After that I dropped the GTI off to have all the fluids changed, timing belt replaced, and one of the boots worked on. After this I won't have to do anything major to it for a long while, which will be great.

Woke up to snow mixed with rain today so I cancelled working on the rest of that tree and job site we were on yesterday and went up the street and burned some slash piles that have been hanging due to lack of rain. That way we were close to home and worked until we got too cold and wet. Wind is kind of crazy up there so you are constantly looking up checking for hangers ready to fall. A lot of damaged trees on that lot. Windy as it is, you are on edge listening for and hearing cracking as things break and hit the ground. I might go back up after we dry out or see what tomorrow brings.

Annnnnnnnd.. Katy just found a fresh mountain lion kill down at the miners shack on the corner of the property. Seems they took out some chickens up the street recent. Rob heard a cat 2 nights ago. Looks like they got a deer and marked the kill. Katy has just recently bought some new baby goats we have in a kennel next to the house. Looks like we will be re grouping all the animals with the llamas today and keeping the kids closer to the house.
Gotta love country livin ....

Did some running around today and picked up some more materials for the house. Got home and my new-to-me GRCS was on the porch. 8)

Have an old friend coming over around 6pm or so to pick some music and visit.

Boss bought a Vermeer S600 last week... Then he sent me out to do three jobs in the rain today, the last of which we ended up felling 8 14-25" ash trees, cut to firewood and stacked in the back of the yard; without the mini.

At least the rain stopped and the sun came out later in the day.

Annnnnnnnd.. Katy just found a fresh mountain lion kill down at the miners shack on the corner of the property. Seems they took out some chickens up the street recent. Rob heard a cat 2 nights ago. Looks like they got a deer and marked the kill. Katy has just recently bought some new baby goats we have in a kennel next to the house. Looks like we will be re grouping all the animals with the llamas today and keeping the kids closer to the house.
Gotta love country livin ....

Time to lock-and-load! I've got too much invested in my stuff to let some critter kill them.

Our Nubian kidded yesterday...two does and a buck. The Alpine should kid in a few weeks.

Winds have been ripping here today. I saw a bunch of Asplundh trucks roll through earlier. Bet they were tornado chasing. I can't catch a break no matter where I move.

We had the Nubian bred with an Alpine/Toggenburg mix buck last year. This year she was bred to a full Nubian buck, so we're hoping to recoup some money selling the kids, since they can be registered. And the Alpine was bred to a registered Alpine, so we hope the same from her, though I don't expect triplets. Second year in a row for the Nubian to have triplets.

I had a fellow call me yesterday...customer from years back. Said he had a dead pine that had broken off and hung up in another tree, basically only one limb holding it, and that if that one limb gave way, it would take out his back porch. This morning I loaded up the GRCS, picked up my help, and drove 25 miles to his house. Turns out it was a maybe 10" (at the ground) pine, maybe 45' tall...30 minutes to rig a rope from a poplar behind it to hold it from going any further toward the house, cut about four blocks off the butt, let the top swing down, and throw the chunks in a gully behind the tree. Talk about wasted gas! (And useless miles on the GRCS!)

I guess I shouldn't complain. I worked til near dark yesterday, part of it in the rain, which is generally not my cup of tea. I needed a short easy day.

We had the Nubian bred with an Alpine/Toggenburg mix buck last year. This year she was bred to a full Nubian buck, so we're hoping to recoup some money selling the kids, since they can be registered. And the Alpine was bred to a registered Alpine, so we hope the same from her, though I don't expect triplets. Second year in a row for the Nubian to have triplets.
Sounds a lot of what we are doing here save for breeding the alpine with a boar. Katy wants to stock up on some meat goats. Price of beef is only going higher with this drought. Milk will be about the same as gas prices by the gallon. We are again approaching $5.00 a gallon in that department.
Selling a few of the pregnant pygmys and the male as well to downsize before the next plan and keep feed cost down. Probably butcher a couple as well (neutered males).

The two baby's she just got are alpine/nubian I believe.

I would eat goat in a heartbeat, but my crew wouldn't hear of it. Buncha softies! I must admit, those Nubian kids are cute. Not hard to get attached to.

Back