How'd it go today?

Laugh and mock me all you want, but FINALLY the stupid Dodge is done! I've never seen anything like it, three times to get the right ball joints, three times to get the right idler arm then the damn tie rod ends were machined wrong so I had to drill new holes to get cotter pins in them!
It only took me a week!

Yes. I helped a bud work on his Ford van water pump. It had a Y pipe that went into the pump and sealed with an O-ring. The pipe had rusted from the outside and needed replacing. Dealer item, cost as much as the pump. He had a machinist bud tap it to 1" NPT. How it should have been built from the git go.

When I put ball joints on my old 66 International Loadstar Crane in the 70's I went in and was told they had 5 different front axles. The parts man guessed right first try. I got lucky.

Rained drizzled ,nasty .Soo I put the skinny tires on the Ranger and did case split and crankshaft change on a Stihl 200T .I'll finish up tommorow with pictures .

I was full out in a bucket when the bottom fell outta the sky. By the time I had folded it up, I was SOAKED, ha. So much for treework today...

From the weather map it shows rain from Louisiana to Pa and farther eastward .It'd rained all day puddles everywhere .I won't be able to get in the woods for a week .

I'm exhausted, really. After climbing 7 hours yesterday, and climbing a solid dozen trees today to retreive/lower down hangers I'm beat. Today was a buzz kill. Every tree was bucket accessible and would have taken less than half the time, really. I need one, like yesterday.

Towards the end of the day a half million dollars worth of quipment rolled up at the neighbors. They musta spent all the money as there was none left for PPE. I watched them use the bucket truck (ALofCT) to drag pieces across the lawn like a winch. They also loaded logs with the boom, it was amazing.

I finished the day by chipping two brush piles, and calling back a half dozen potential customers. Phones not stopping.

Are these parts from Dodge, or aftermarket? There are plenty of reasons to hate any manufacturer.

Cheap aftermarket, she bought the cheapest parts she could get, hence having to drill the inner tie rods ends! But this is a '99 3/4 ton, there are three known different front ends on this truck, not saying there aren't more! We got MOST of the right parts finally using the VIN off the truck, the idler arm came down to taking the old one in and opening boxes up to match it up.

Oh ya, I also gave myself a bloody nose for the second day in a row, and a black eye.

How am I doing? :|:

You are my hero! You are making me feel better about my mess at least!:lol:

Without a doubt! Drilling the holes wasn't the fault of the truck, that was cheap parts! But none the less, the truck was a PITA also!

What's the "proper" way to load logs with a non material handler boom?

On my Altec LRV55 there is a hook that is welded on the the end of the lower boom. The manual says you can use it to move material up to 1,000 pounds. I have never used it though, probably never will. There have been way to many stories around here of boom failures, granted some were from 20 years ago. One in particular, the boom had failed at the mount on the truck and the operator plunged face first in to concrete. Eff that.

You can't blame Dodge for aftermarket vendor screwups. Everyone likes their own brand, so I try not to make disparaging remarks about other peoples preferences. I've worked on a lot of '99 Dodge 3/4 ton trucks, never had any problem getting parts for them. Only difference I know of on the front axle is some have ABS and that uses a different wheel bearing.

I'm done buying aftermarket parts for important vehicles. I've bought brake parts over and over from NAPA for my Ford. Garbage. Pistons locked up, rotors wobbly, they just really went down hill. I rather nut up the extra for OEM, it lasted 100k miles so why not another 100k.

I agree. I always bought replacement parts from the dealer, and I always got the right parts. The VIN filter is great. I went 125k on front brakes, 156k on tie-rods and ball joints, and it has 167k on the rear brakes and I've never touched them. Transmissions I've had some trouble with, but more of an abuse, mechanic error issue.

Thinning job today and tomorrow down in a wash... Cut big ass hole and make one big ass fire.. Try to save some trees. Hangers every where, trees all folded and broken... fun fun fun ... Cut and run scenario. Mostly live oak. Lady asked if I wanted the wood, told her no.. burning it all.... Somebody else can try to huck it out of that place if she wants.. not me. Would need a little yarder set up like Ed had or get creative hillbilly style.. See how I feel about it.

Back