How'd it go today?

You guys are awfully energetic today. I went to church and went and had lunch with my parents. Then I went to Wallyworld and got some inserts for my shoes and assorted stuff.

Steve, I didn't want to work today ... but seeing I am booked pretty heavy right now and this was a customer that refers several thousands of dollars annually not to mention what he spends, I thought I would take a couple hours solo and take a few limbs off his blue oak to keep Asplundh or Trees Inc. and one of their subs from stripping it bare on one side. :)

I wonder if this would work?

I have a sigle shelf frame that holds my pack, saw, gas and oil, the whole nine yards.....was really proud of myself until trying to use it walking through brush, which is often the case in these parts. Went right back to using a soft pack and carrying the saw.

The oddest tree of the day was a Pine that had a big ant's nest right in the middle of it, from below ground level to about two feet above. Big ants too. The tree appeared healthy, and I wasn't paying much attention to the chips. Lean to the lay, no problem falling it, but that could seriously mess you up if you needed a good hinge. . They came pouring out after it hit the ground, like they were leaping for their lives, jumping off the top of the stump in a hurried mass exodus. Kinda felt bad for them, pretty nice looking lodgings that they had made.

:):):):)First day of the logging season today:):):):):):)

Blue skies, green leaves, nice medium size beech trees, Now I'm totally bushed and I have to go to the dojo and train. We have a Canadian 9th Dan visiting, Al Mady is his name, he is VERY good. A pleasure to train with.

Sitting in downtown Knoxville right now getting ready to eat some awesome food hopefully. Had a good drive down, stopped at an outdoors store and picked up some new boots, which I've desperately needed. Current ones are falling apart. Also got a sweet new gear bag. Good trip so far, but hard on the wallet lol.

Nah, down here for a day for a tree class with Dad. Taught by Jim Urban, author of Up by the Roots. Road trip doesn't start till the end of October.

MB, Do you have Kudzu down there? I have seen it in Tennessee. Quite a mess.

It's not just Tennessee .They had the bright idea years ago to plant the stuff as a cover type vegetation evidently not understanding how quickly it could become invasive. The Carolinas are inindated with the stuff .They have a mess and aren't exactly sure of a method to rid the stuff .

Purple Loosestrife is supposed to be pretty obnoxious. It has slowly been creeping in our area. They were bringing in bugs from the Russian Steppes to combat it out West on the range. It was on a documentary a saw back a while ago.

Pampas grass can become invasive under certain conditions .I have two little clumps which came from just one of maybe twenty years ago .However from that orginal clump there must be at least 50 by now from starts that were given to others .Some of those because of favorable growing conditions must be around 6 feet in diameter or were the last I saw them .

Certain types of bamboo can be invasive as well .

Oh they've tried any number of great ideas to control erosion besides kudzoo. Mountain laurel is one that they found wasn't such a great idea either .

They thought that English ivy kind of set a nice flair growing up the sides of buildings .That is until it started causing the masonary joints to crack apart from the turger of the vines .About the only way to kill the stuff is to pressure wash it off the buildings .What a monumental pain in the buttocks that is .They'd have been better off to leave the stuff in England .:lol:

Actually pulled it with my truck and a chain, came easy, then loaded it with the boxer. I was afraid to stab the forks in the ground too deep as there was a comm line right below it

I wasn't a bad day but thank heavens it's over and beer thirty .Replaced a door closure and fixed a door bell for my mother .Also climbed a silver maple and two walnuts for a little trim for her .

That poor woman worried when I did that stuff with a bowsaw at 14 years of age .She still worries 50 years later, that's moms for you .:)

Came back home and tripped three ash trees and managed to hang the saw on two .It's hard to believe how much pressure a 15" pecker pole can put on a cut if it's 85 feet tall .It took the steel wedges to lift those things off the saw .I managed to beat the pizz out of the plastic ones .I can see why you guys buy a dozen of those things at a time now .

Of all that it looks like I might get a decent 15-16 foot saw log out of the whole mess .The rest is firewood .

Finished one wood delivery (until I hear more from the HO that is currently out of town) and started another that I will finish tomorrow before I go split and stack some for a customer. I was going to start dropping the pines out in the back fields but my tail gate on the truck was giving me grief so I installed a net I had around that I had purchased a couple years ago for one of the trucks. Guess I will break down and order a gate of some sort for the Ford in the near future. Just an after market one with the slats or what not. I am eventually going to make a flat bed out of her anyway... I think :/: Probably put a dump kit under it at the same time. I would like tool boxes right behind the cab between it and the bed. Then just shorten the bed to 6 foot. Next step after that would be make a small chip box for it. Ahhhhhhh future plans :lol:
Now off to soccer here in a few and take Seth out to dinner and what not.
Might have landed a couple more tree TDs while I was out and about... See what comes of it ...
Started to get a tad hot again today so I have less motivation to do much more today :lol:

It's not just Tennessee .They had the bright idea years ago to plant the stuff as a cover type vegetation evidently not understanding how quickly it could become invasive. The Carolinas are inindated with the stuff .They have a mess and aren't exactly sure of a method to rid the stuff .
Yeah it's everywhere. The deer love it. Unfortunately they don't eat near enough of it. The forestry mulchers seem to make quick work of it. Brush killer application on new growth takes care of it usually. Most folks don't think about control until it's too late. Which translates to big money. I read somewhere that kudzu can overtake an acre or better in a years time.

Back