How'd it go today?

Kind of makes you feel small sometimes. Glad there was no injury. A few days I had a whole tree on the ground caught in a bind, swing around and up and nearly take my head of when bucking. Man, got to pay attention and go at it slow sometimes. :\:

Good that you were not hurt and lived to remember not to do it again :)

Slept in late today myself. Then worked on some meat for a couple meals. Have some marinating for tonight and rendering some stock for a stew. I will make a double batch of that for beef pot pie :)
Then I went down to one of our gray pines I have been meaning to work on. Got a note on it in spring/late winter after all the nasty storms we had. The tree contractors like Asplundh were up to their necks with work and I called Trees Inc. to let them know I would handle it... save them some time and me some cleanup :D
Branch was leaning out over the primaries and close to our service and transformer as well. I felt I really needed to get on that like now as I was watching it almost touch the lines in the last wind storm. All done :) Tree was low enough to the ground I could just about free climb it then set my lines and get to work. Mother nature placed a decent limb for me to walk right out to it and nip it off with hinged cuts to swing it away from the lines smallish like. They don't get much better than that. :)

Im a lucky fella today. This white ash uprooted in the woods at my house so i figured on dicing it up and splitting to burn in my stove this winter, as opposed to taking from my sale pile of seasoned wood. I started at the top, cutting it all to firewood length. I made my way down to bigger wood, with caution, with no problems. I was dicing some rounds rounds off the trunk, again, with great caution, and the trunk just didnt seem to want to stand back up. I let the tree fool me into thinking that those upright roots werent wanting to fall back into the hole. I was wrong. Part way through a cut, I leaned over the trunk to have a look at where my bar tip was in relation to a rock under the tree, and as I did, the tree stood right up. Lifted me right off the ground 15 feet like a rag doll and dropped my down flat on my back on the ground. It even kept my saw up there with it.

Im not hurt, but my pride was. I knew I should have snipped the trunk right from the root base first. But, I was being a fool. I hate when I know better then to do something, and yet i do it anyhow.

100MEDIAIMAG0169.jpg

That's a bottom bind situation, Tucker, You got to pay a little more attention to those.

Last edited:
Glad you weren't injured man.

Planning out a rough route today for my upcoming trip. Looking to be around 2k miles total, spread over a month roughly. Going up to Hartford, CT, for the TCIA Expo, and then onto MA for the Crane Seminar and hopefully working with Mayer for a week or two. Was planning on going to work with Stig, but the opportunity to learn from Mark Chislom, probably the one person besides Gerry I've really wanted to climb with and learn from, was too good to pass up. Plus, what a better way to get my intro in crane work besides an awesome seminar and working with Mayer and their dream machine cranes!!

Hands on cranes in tree work seminar put on my Mark. If you have the chance to go over see how that side of the world works, you should take it. Mark is a great guy, but opportunities to see other parts of the world is a rare opportunity.

I know. I'd love to work with Stig. I spent about a week going back and forth between the two trips. It was extremely tough for me, because the opportunity to travel abroad and do tree work was great, I was really looking forward to it. But the chance to climb with Mark, someone I've grown up always wanting to climb with and learn from, was too good to pass up. Its the equivalent of some kid who loves basketball playing a game with Micheal Jordan for me really. I talked to Stig and I'm hoping next year I can head overseas. I want to start contacting some people soon, because I'd like to travel around Europe while I'm there, and work with some other people. Hopefully I can stay over there for a few months. That takes a lot of money though, so I figure start saving now, and I'll be more than good come next fall/winter.

Got tired of homework and took the new 460 out and mulched some brush piles down...still about 4 chapters behind in reading...guess I better get back at it...:|:

worked today on the family rig. regrouted the tub and the kitchen sink, repainted the fold up stairs, grip taped the stairs, painted the roof with waterproofer (two coats 4 hours apart), fiddled with the furnace that doesnt want to co-operate and had the charger on the battery for another 6 hours after Bub left the outside light on the other day when he and wife left the barn where its stored at. I figure that will cost him a few cords of firewood chopping someday ;)

I just got some good news tonight.. I just added 2 more prunings and a TD to my schedule. I guess we had a few calls when we lost power and no one checked the messages. Or tell me we had any to check. I thought the phone was pretty dead the last couple of days. Only people calling about the fire the day of. HA!

Jay, I outright told a customer the other day I would not work more than two days in a row at her place once a month. I would more prefer only one day a month because of the terrain. Not the worst I have ever been on, but you end up falling a lot on it between the slippery grass and leaves and the topography. She started to get all insulted and then I looked at her with my serious look and replied, "you hire us to do work where you can't even stand, said so yourself, so would you work more than a day or two straight on it?". She affirmed my suspicion with a no, she would probably break her leg or something. :lol:

Back