How'd it go today?

So far so good .Just a few minutes ago I tossed a dead sugar maple out by my wood pile.70 plus footer . I suspect it had been declining for a while and gave it up last fall,hollow and hard as granite . Just as it hit ground damned if it didn't start raining so I'll get at again after the rain stops .

Rolled up on two jobs right next to each other this morning. One storm damaged limb, and a triple Maple take down. Forgot to grab the wire cutters this morning, the triple Maple had three cables so couldn't do that. Knocked out the storm damage and picked another half day job to go to. My buddies parents house had a big twin Hemlock next to the barn. I limbed it up, threw all the shit in the wood, chainsaw chipped it, and legs logs lay. I'll go back and pick them up when it dries out as I want them for live edge siding for my garage.

Great day today. took down the following, hauled the logs and stacked the brush...all with a 2 man crew in less than 5 hours:

1) White pine: 16" DBH by 65 feet tall, felled
2) White pine: 14" DBH by 55 feet tall, topped then felled
3) White pine: 12" DBH by 40 feet tall, felled
4) Red oak: 10" DBH by 30 feet tall, topped then felled
5) Red maple: 14" DBH by 50 feet tall, topped then felled
6) Aspen: 18" DBH by 65 feet tall, felled
7) Aspen: 17" DBH by 65 feet tall, felled
8) Aspen: 15" DBH by 65 feet tall, felled
9) Aspen: 10" DBH by 30 feet tall, felled

I got the maple sliced,diced and cleaned up .Got pics but I'm too tired and too "relaxed " from too many whistle pops at moment to down load them .Tommorrow is another day .

I spent the morning vacuuming the pool, and then spent this afternoon at Lowes, calling vendors for prices on kitchen sinks, dodging rain, and doing measurements for a landscape/hardscape design.

Currently, I just got home from dinner with my Great Uncle and a buddy of his.

Today was my parent's 60th anniversary and I was supposed to drive them up to a foothill community for the day. My Dad hurt his foot yesterday so they cancelled on me. So I did almost nothing. I got them a card and delivered a wooden bowl to some friends of mine, did banking and one bid. I should go for a walk or something now to get some blood flowing.

Started an account we do every year that takes almost 3 days to cut. The 90 plus degrees is dragging me down. Going from almost freezing temps to just plain hot, I have not acclimated to it yet. I think I am going to fell a dead gray pine for them as well. Have to talk further about it. Dang thing was on it's way out three years ago and they held off. Now the tops are falling out... Not one I am going to want to beat on with wedges :lol:

Today I worked at possibly the nicest home/estate I've been to yet. It's on a cliff above the lake, looking straight down a very majestic/unobstructed portion of Okanagan lake and has a wicked waterfall pool near the edge, kids or rambunctious young adults wouldn't be recommended for it. gardens and stuff like is very uncommon around here, really well established and old european style. It was a pleasure to be there, and I got paid to boot!

Probably didn't. It wasn't overly exciting work, very much on the light end for the type of work I'm used to. Pollarded(yes a true pollard has been started on some young poplars) for about the third timme some lombardys by the pool gazebo and shaped some younger mayflower trees.

My whole life hasn't happened if pics are what's nescessary!

Fish poled a live oak off a house with no tie in but what was coming out, one guy on the roof walking pieces to the edge and placing them in a make shift chute laid on a ladder. Rattled around with each piece despite keeping it small once most of the brush was gone then hand trucked it all out. Golf balls flying my way all day, only wish I could have caught one to chuck back. Golf course would not allow me to use the golf cart paved path, where has civility gone. Makes me wonder!

Look what showed up on my porch yesterday! Think he likes American style, use enough bar you don't even get sawdust on you!

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 3
Big tree...

Attachments

• 2011-06-16 13.15.38.jpg
    2011-06-16 13.15.38.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 2011-06-16 13.27.58.jpg
    2011-06-16 13.27.58.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 2011-06-16 14.29.52.jpg
    2011-06-16 14.29.52.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 3
Nice way to stay clean Stig! haha

Grades came in this morning for classes. 1,075 out 1,100 possible points and didn't have to take the final exam.

Drove into the big city for my monthly giving of blood sample. Heading out later to bid removing dead wood from a Maple over a house and driveway, then another place about removing a large elm...gotta have something to do between classes I guess...:)

Seems to be well, down to Jerry and Terri's now, no mustang this time. Apparently I sent him the wrong phone number so he looked me up, glad he did, we had a nice day. To much snow in the high country to go find a rec climb. We helped the guys for a little bit, had lunch, went to Lithia park little spray job, nice easy day

Excellent grades!

Changed the engine oil and fuel filters in the grinder (Rayco RG85) and finished installing the Revolution cutter wheel this morning. I noticed that one of the teeth was already broken in the transition from the shoulder to the shank of the bolt. I changed it out and ground a 12" Brandford Pear stump in my yard... 90 seconds later I had another 3 broken teeth that broke within the first 2 threads on the bolt. These teeth are $12.75 per.

Called New River, they said the only such trouble they'd had was when a customer let a tooth get loose. We pondered it for a moment, I suggested they were overtorqued from the factory. To test that, I went out and tried to loosen a side tooth (120ftlbs installation torque). I picked up the ~700lb cutterhead with a 1/2" ratchet until the slack ran out of the mounts and I ran out of lifting power. I called back and confirmed they might have gone a touch heavy on the torque. :lol:

Stand up company, they're shipping me a full set of teeth. :thumbup:

Back home from bid. Ended up with raising crown a little on a red maple and a 2 white mulberries and doing clearance on one mulberry for a couple spruce that are growing near it.

Other place had these planted at least 4" too deep late last summer. one or two rows of branches under dirt. Not too sure what to do if anything. already under stress from transplanting and being planted low. don't know if I should try raising them or just leave them and see if they survive (which isn't looking real good either).

P6160029.jpg P6160028.jpg P6160025.jpg P6160027.jpg

Back