Holan bucket truck outriggers, the rebuildening

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Call around to some welding shops.
I did

just gonna drill the pin out, ive got a small mill I can try, or weld up a mount and use a mag drill
getting the new pin made is the bigger issue, I know a few people that may be able to help, one shop in town said they would make it on their manual machine but itll be a couple hundred bucks

I called about 10 different machine shops and nobody around here wants to make a pin since it needs threads, the only shop I found that seems to be able to make one wants to charge extra because its a one off
also nobody seems to have a press big enough, so I gotta drill the pin out on the mill, which will suck for long time
perhaps I drill it most of the way out and cut it with the sawzall, or do a weld bead around the inside to shrink it some like ive seen people do with old bearing races
I'd tell em " what kind of machine shop are you? Half of every lathe is a big gear box just for making threads. Anyone can shape a pin at home on a lathe, you'd expect the pros to be able to make threads." Or "I see lots of guys making threads on youtube, just watch some videos if you don't know how".

How big of a thread is it? You could probably get a die for the threaded part, if they are truly that terrible of a lathe hand. You can also probably just buy new from the manufacturer, which would be an off the shelf item for them. If i had mine setup i could whip one up for you.... but i don't yet sorry.

I'd tell em " what kind of machine shop are you? Half of every lathe is a big gear box just for making threads. Anyone can shape a pin at home on a lathe, you'd expect the pros to be able to make threads." Or "I see lots of guys making threads on youtube, just watch some videos if you don't know how".
found one shop to do it, all these so called machine shops around here is normally some dude names Daryl working out of his shed, BUT I did find one legit machine shop down the road that will do it

How big of a thread is it? You could probably get a die for the threaded part, if they are truly that terrible of a lathe hand. You can also probably just buy new from the manufacturer, which would be an off the shelf item for them. If i had mine setup i could whip one up for you.... but i don't yet sorry.
its around 1" but the pin is necked down from like 1.25" and requires both ends being turned down, faced, chamfered, and threaded
got quoted $40 just for the steel, which doesnt sound terrible till you consider its 1.25" x 8" stainless bar

Late this last summer. My buddy needed it gone, i wasn't ready for it but that's life. Surprisingly i have more pressing disasters to tend to at the moment, not to mention not really having a bunch of time after working full time then doing the whole young family thing til 8 at night everyday. By the time the weekend rolls around I'm too tired and sore to want to do much of anything, so i relax and hang out with the family since that's more important anyways. Haven't even been doing trees, no time or energy to do so. Just cutting up firewood from a buddy's place as needed for heat. Was kinda hoping for a short layoff but i need the damn money and the wife wouldn't let me, so no lathe yet. I need to clear out the garage to set it where i want it, so it'll be when it's nice out again unless i get a layoff.

this ones also for sale near me, 4 grand
40" swing, 5ft between centers
22" four jaw, 38" faceplate

if only I had more of these pins to do, and a bigger shop for that lathe
too bad Its the slow season and I cant pay that much extra right now, but I can still wish... right?

Attachments

• 1676945332020.png
    1676945332020.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
if you dont mind, what caused you to build a crane onto the side of your chipper?
I might just have to make one if its a good reason, already have a hydraulic winch to run it

if you dont mind, what caused you to build a crane onto the side of your chipper?
I might just have to make one if its a good reason, already have a hydraulic winch to run it

I built it because I'm lazy and i love pirates, so both the chipper and the trailer have homemade cranes on them :lol: They're built to be used as yarders too, so they are how i could turn free scrap pipe and welding rod into a tree service. Kyle's redneck builds in the gear section, all that and more. If you're looking for more of the theory and resources for rigging try the redneck derrick cranes thread in the rigging section, it's even got a sticky. That has tons of free books you can download to learn how to rig stuff like that.

The chipper crane is an example of a stiffleg derrick, and works surprisingly well as you can see. It'll winch stuff wonderfully, the higher lead helps keep the butts off the ground. It's got bollards so you can run a running skyline with rope, that combined with my log arches and an arbor trolley allows me to get pretty much everything as far as brush goes. The trailer is getting a 10 k pound winch, which will be able to self load and unload 4k on a single pick, making my redneck under cdl crap comparable to a full sized skid steer. Here's it unloading firewood with the sailboat winch, and moving a really really heavy chicken coop.

20230108_162109.jpg

20210425_172058.jpg

ive been reading your threads on it, I like the idea
perhaps a boat winch to control the boom angle, and the hydraulic to raise and lower the load? id just have to rig it up so I can swing it somehow
a log arch on my dump trailer has been a thought, Id prefer a jib crane though for versatility, maybe something that pins onto the tongue of the trailer, 20ft boom or so, add some janky outriggers (hate those things now) and it would be a nice little crane to have to handle logs and equipment, could load the trailer or pickup truck bed with it

Kyle, have you noticed any issues with arc starts with that old sa200? my dad was saying something about the auto throttle on the new machines (SA has it too right?) starts the arc at idle and ramps up, causing him lots of sticking issues

ive noticed some issues using an old transformer machine off a generator, but that was MIG not stick

Last edited:
If you are sticking rods you're probably too cold. I have mine pinned on high because i still have the old vacuum system and it won't fire up for the grinders, so i just leave it on high idle. With 5p you can just stick the rod to idle up, then just wiggle free and you're off to the races.

If you are sticking rods you're probably too cold. I have mine pinned on high because i still have the old vacuum system and it won't fire up for the grinders, so i just leave it on high idle. With 5p you can just stick the rod to idle up, then just wiggle free and you're off to the races.
running anywhere from 90-120 amps on 1/8" 6011, should be the right range
I cant uphill or overhead at 175 amps and expect a weld, more of a puddle but on the ground catching on fire is my experience

note to self: drain cylinder before lifting up to mill, it flopped over and as the rod came out the "retract" port shot a lot of fluid all over me and my shop

Cylinder and pin are off to the hydraulic shop, even the one machine shop that said they could do it refused to since they can't even thread it on their manual lathe so it would put one of their cnc units out of production work too long

Back