Your thoughts on Air conditioning

Yeah, but that makes it a bitch to get out of bed when you've got it all warmed up.

That would be enough for me to call in. "Sorry boss, it's just not gonna happen today. You should really think about just mailing me my last check, and I'll swing by some time to grab my tools" :lol:

I keep my house at 76 almost year around. Cool enough to be comfortable without costing a fortune in electricity. I no longer open the windows during Spring and Fall, too much dust. Winter (all 3-4 weeks of it) I flip to heat as needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bermy, I read some stuff about problems in the rainforest there regarding excessive logging. Not to derail but curious if you have a take on it.

I used to make fun of the air conditioned. Now I'm one of them. Getting old and sorry I guess. Nothing's worse than getting out of the shower, drying off, then having to dry off again just to get dressed.

I don't live in FL, if I did, I might think differently. But what did people do before AC?

A whole lot of them chose not to live in the south or southwest, until AC arrived.

Hell, before that it was even thinner on the ground, population-wise, before ice machines where invented.

You kids...my forbearers lived in SW Florida, central Alabama, coastal South Carolina...200+ years before ice machines or AC. It sure wasn't enjoyable in the hot season, but a lot of life back then was hard, on many planes.

We have it soft and easy these days...me included!

Last edited:
Jeebus....no sugar, no hot showers, no AC,.............even the fugging Amish allow themselves sugar.

You people. I get exhausted just reading about what you dont like and dont do.
I am with you on this!
I grew up with wood heat, zero AC (and water from a hand pump). To this day I cannot stand central air conditioning or forced air heat.

give me a wood stove and I am happy. Nothing like being warm under the covers but having fresh cold air to breath. I keep the window open all night.

I do like a warm house tho. Otherwise my Joints get real stiff.

I don't have AC, either in the house or in the car and van. I hate the cold, felling the freezing air blowing on me makes me very uncomfortable.
When it's cold, I just disapear in the bed, fully covered. I ligthened the bed's cover only a few days this year. The central heater is even still running now! (first time). Luckily for my wallet, the system is regulated, so I don't get the cold nights, but it's reasonable money wise.

Bermy, I read some stuff about problems in the rainforest there regarding excessive logging. Not to derail but curious if you have a take on it.
Hey Cory, that picture is me in Bermuda, doing some freebie work in a nature reserve wetland.
I'm not completely across rainforest logging in Australia...but we did go to see the big trees in the Styx forest reserve over the weekend...logging all around, but this area is preserved.

I haven't used AC in the house in over 10 years. It stopped working and I didn't use it much anyhow. I prefer to let the body adjust to the heat, and use fans. I do enjoy running AC in the trucks between jobs in the summer when temps top 90 and humidity is high, but will almost always keep the windows down a bit, so it's just a cool breeze blowing.
I find it much easier to work in the heat if the body adjusts.. I adjust my diet as well.

In the summer of 2010 I was going into the sauna at 165 a few times a week and was able to climb trees at 102 degrees without much suffering

98 degrees here, beach house has air con, so here I am.

Igor likes it as well.

I don’t want to acclimatise, I want to be comfortable image.jpg

Death trap. Single level houses are safer. Should be illegal.

You know.....if it saves just one life..........

Anyway.....Air Conditioning is a plot by the Illuminati to soften us up.

Once the transition is complete, they will only have to withhold the refrigerant gasses and we will be as helpless as a Mason with out a trowel.

Have I mentioned lately, that I love you, Jim?
In a totally platonic way, of course.

When you don't go cryptic, you make some outstanding posts.

Back