Your thoughts on Air conditioning

Pretty much a necessity. I run it at 77° at night, 76° during the day. If the night temp gets to 70° or below, I turn the AC off and open windows and turn on the whole house fan. I roofed for 17 years along with tree work, and can attest to the fact that living/sleeping in AC at low temps is HARD on the body when the outside temps hit 95°+.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My bucket truck is 7 years old, Monday was crazy hot and crazy all around, I turned on the AC in it for the first time ever. Hated to do it but survival kinda necessitated.:lol:

My thoughts on AC this week? Well, the power was off for a couple days and I ran my 48hp Kubota all night mostly for the AC and TV. .75 gallons/hr was a small price to pay to keep my bedroom something less than the surface of the sun.

Something to keep in mind- Wal Mart has a 30 day no questions asked return policy. If there is a storm coming, a person could probably buy a window AC unit from Wal Mart on a credit card, use it with their gas generator after the storm, and return it for a full refund once the power comes back on. I may have done something like that many years ago.

Last big storm 3 years ago there were no AC units in any local stores. Got on Amazon and bought one with free next day delivery (day before the storm hit). Was only without power for a day or so but I had AC.

So 2 years removed from the OP here, I like AC even less than I used to. My wife 'cant live without it' to some extent and my 31 y o son favors it too.

It might be an old white guy thing as my wife's brother is 70 y o and lives in Hotlanta and he hates it too.

I used to feel it could be key to have after a long hot day at work but now I simply take cool or cold shower after work and I'm good to go for the rest of the night. I am a, um, fan of a well placed fan or two to keep the air moving.

Last edited:
Fans can't cool off my bedroom. I run a small window unit in there. The rest of the house is usually ok. Maybe a fan blowing on the couch as needed.

When I lived in AZ, it seemed to take 1/2 the night to cool my core down.
Pools are like bath water.
Cool to cold shower. Then crank the AC and take a nap on the floor till dinner. Then back to the floor and still cranking AC.120* was common on a work day in summer. Monsoon season, you would get evening relief from thunderstorms. Work day hell the next day with the humidity.

I have my license to handle refrigerants and since I fix electric motors and pumps repairs and installing A/C comes easy, so A/C is a must.

If they didn't dehumidify so much, I wouldn't mind, but it's really nice to be able to get cool and dry quickly.

Btw, when I see this thread title in play while the CV and others are dealing with the CA fires, it is a little embarrassing, as in, First World Problems. But just discussing, along with other topics. Just saying.

Air conditioning can cool you off in a hurry, allowing more work to be done in a day because you can stop from overheating. Frequent breaks to get water and cool off really changes how miserable it is when it's hot. I used to never use it, to the point it made me uncomfortable when i was younger, but now I'm a fan.

Good info, thanks

I'm still a big fan of AC. I get the house down to 60-61 at night, usually. When I move to the other house it'll probably be kept warmer without this hot AF Tempurpedic bed.

My cars have "bio defense mode" that makes the car have positive pressure. I heard tale of folks sleeping in their Teslas during wild fires for a break from the smoke.

Our Humvee ambulances in the Army had a neat setup that protected patients, medic, and driver if the ambulance had to go through a chemical environment. Probably just air filtered through lots and lots of cotton and charcoal. That’s mostly what made up the gas mask filters too.

Figured y’all might get a kick outta this… $860 for my two power bills from last month. ~7MWh used between the two houses.

DBA84F23-E3D4-4429-A8FD-BF63A97F3E13.jpeg

Last edited:
Back