What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 481K
Beautiful snow! Me no get no stinkin' snow! Waaaaaaa! Not fair! *cries incessantly*

Looks like tomorrow and Saturday are going to be doozeys for precip, @Kaveman! Don't give up hope on being able to plow your man mountain with the John Deere!

Same here.
Half the country is flooded.
Last year set a new record for precipitation and it just continues.
My guy with the 12 forwarders is tearing his hair out.

Snow isn't falling, it's being whipped to the ground by tempestuous, wild wind. It howls around the eaves of the little cabin, hisses through the fencing of the chicken coup and catio. The thin layer of snow, perhaps an inch on the ground, is at least fresh, constantly rejuvenating, a river of flakes sussurating across the ground.

A feeble sun peeks momentarily through the gap between horizon and cloud, before being swallowed again by a leaden sky. Now, with the aid of the wind shredding the steely clouds, the sun again shines brightly, for the first time today. But its vain attempts to warm have been completely thwarted by the savage cold of the wind and storm.

Blah blah blah

38°, 45mph SSW wind, gusting as high as 55mph locally, as the wind always accelerates rolling over the ridge. Lots of rain last night, which melted off the existing snow, today's is all new stuff. I expect the sun to win its battle later today, which will result in a repeat, a transition to wind and sun, melt, rain, get cold again, snow a itsy bit more, blow it around a bunch.

Rest of the mountain is getting good accumulation, White Divide is getting the short end of the stick from this storm. That's the way it goes, either we get it the worst, compared to the surrounding area, or we get almost nada, and our neighbors flood.

I’m looking forward to low to mid 60’s next week (sorry John, I know you like the cold) so I can get the edging pavers cut and finish the patio. It’s been too cold to run the wetsaw.

Oh, we're getting flurries right now! But they're being driven on the wind, we don't have cloud cover right this second.

There's more to come, I can see the storm adding to the snowpack on the mountains south of here.

This one coming now dumped an inch an hour here last night. Hope you get some good stuff from it.
I dont mind it like we get it often. Here today, gone tomorrow at our elevation.
Last year sucked though. 2 storms making 4 feet bang. Took a while to dig out of that one.

That's the basic traditional pattern here at my 1500ish foot elevation...snow comes, snow goes away. Might be 2 inches, or 10, but it usually is gone in a week or so.

The times when we have it come down in bunches, feet of it...or when the cold weather stays and stays, and the snow holds for weeks or even months...that's harder on everyday life.

Being retired, it is easier...usually it's optional to travel much.

Honestly, I haven't the foggiest idea.

But to sound smart I'll sat that it was due to the particular mix of rain, sleet and snow that we received.

Think I'm gonna stick with someone not mixing properly.

It's not very thick, and melting fast at 30° and sunny.

It did definitely have something to do with how saturated the ground was. The foot print is in the mud, not the snow.

There is this large glowing orb in a blue sky and I feel warmth. I’m not quite sure what to do! I’ve heard of such a thing being talked about in folk tales maybe long forgot childhood memories, I can’t be sure. It makes me happy.
It happens here, in far flung foreign parts

Yes I saw this glowing orb of folklore as well @flushcut. I was afraid at first and tried hiding from it behind structures. As the day progressed it had begun to chase me out of my protected area. It seemed to mean no harm so I eventually felt its warmth on my skin. I hope to see it again and maybe become allies.

Fear not the bright blot upon your horizon! It's heat will come and melt the snows, brothers!

Many moons from now, I shall curse its heat, but today, I revel in its glory!

Hail, the Sun, let it grow our crops! May it warm our frozen hearts!

Lo! And look upon the glory if the Fiery One!

Of course I wake up at 6am so that I can shoot a video about mechanical advantage systems that incorporate progress capture and it has rained over night into the morning, making everything wet. What's worse is that there will be thick cloud cover until around 1pm, so the lighting will be shit until that part of the day. Trying to decide if I care or not. Maybe I'll just shoot under the clouds. Ugh. There's always a problem whenever I make plans. Oh well. C'est la vie.

Back