Whats blooming?

Dutch Elm Disease. Wiped out over 98% of American Elms in the US, and was made worse by tree guys (the disease persisted on their bars and chains, so cutting a diseased elm help spread it to healthy stock, as they didn't know to sanitize their saws). I fortunately have a 60+ year old survivor in my yard.

Here on the west coast, California, Dutch Elm Disease was first discovered in Kenwood, in Sonoma County, in the early 1970s. Although the trees had been in decline for at least 10 years before anybody knew it was Dutch Elm.

Thats one of the things that led us to choose here to live, I had just finished my arb training in the UK, and when we came here I was flabbergasted at the elms. We have the leaf beetle here that can dibilitate them if left unchecked, a bark beetle...but no DED fungus.
They are council trees, I get to work on them from time to time :)

There's a property near the office that was being turned into a subdivision, and the old house site(house gone) had flowers that went feral. I dug up the snowdrops, Siberian squill, and some daffodils and planted them at my house, and also various places around the farm. The snowdrops will slowly spread, and carpet an area with flowers. I might not live to see it look impressive, but hopefully someone will. The snowdrops are especially cool cause you'll get blooming flowers poking up through the snow sometimes. It's kind of a surprise flower.

The plant with the shoots are aloe vera and they blossom from about December to March and it usually depends on how much rain we have had. Somewhere in February we had a good amount of rain and that's when the majority of all these shoots popped up.

The taller plants around the same area as the aloe vera that are a lighter color are century plants AKA agave.

And my beautiful truck in the background

Attachments

• IMG_20220304_100149.jpg
    IMG_20220304_100149.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220304_100236.jpg
    IMG_20220304_100236.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
The bees and hummingbird birds love them! And they procreate like rabbits aboot three years ago i planted one of each at that location. Anyone want one i will send you one. You just have to keep it from freezing. They do great in pots. They love moisture and well draining soil. I mixed the dirt with sand from the wash.

I don't know the name of these but they have been popping up everywhere the last week. We just call them weeds

Attachments

• IMG_20220304_120447.jpg
    IMG_20220304_120447.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
My Siberian squill seems to be AWOL. The only flower that's come up is the one I took a pic of. Hoping more showup, but it's getting late :^/ A couple daffodils were flowering yesterday. They'll be full out soon.

Back