Whats blooming?

In the small village where I grew up, there was "the old gardener".
He was actually the young gardener, because his father still gardened at age 98.
They had an ancient greenhouse with a collection of cactae and flowers.
One was the " Queen of the night"
It finally bloomed, and the whole village showed up to see it.
I was maybe 6 years old and still remember my parents waking me up in the middle of the night and getting me dressed.
Then we walked up to the green house and joined the line of villagers waiting to see the wonder.
That night has left a never forgotten imprint on me.
The beauty and smell of that flower and the folks waiting in line to see it, everybody speaking in hushed tones, like in a church.

Thanks a lot for posting those pictures, they really got my memory working.

I was doing a job a few years ago for a Filipino family and noticed one in the back behind the house. When I was getting paid I asked if they'd ever seen it flower.

That led to the story of when they moved in and were having a bbq house warming party, and people kept asking what the perfume was. They had no idea so started looking around and found it. They were all amazed, never seen anything like it before.

The first and second picture are a creosote (bush?). The second and third ones are a unknown to me variety that grow wild in these parts, the creosote does too

Attachments

• IMG_20220311_140321.jpg
    IMG_20220311_140321.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220311_140343.jpg
    IMG_20220311_140343.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220311_140404.jpg
    IMG_20220311_140404.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220311_140420.jpg
    IMG_20220311_140420.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Those are fantastic looking Nemophila aka Blue Eyes! I have have never seen wild flowers like that before in my life. I have lead a very sheltered life when it comes to traveling, and seeing nature.

My Siberian squill seems to be AWOL. The only flower that's come up is the one I took a pic of. Hoping more showup, but it's getting late :^/ A couple daffodils were flowering yesterday. They'll be full out soon.
Siberian squill has made an appearance. I saw the ones I planted at the office were coming up, and checking here, I see more flowers coming up. That was a hell of a delay from the first flower. I've been checking every couple days since I saw the first. Dates from my phone indicated now to early April when they'd be up, but I figured they'd be similar, so I was wondering if I had a die off for some reason. I was ready to blame the squirrels for digging them up. They messed up my Japanese maple seedling I planted last fall. I kinda replanted it, but don't have high hopes. I guess I'll see when leaves really start popping.

These come up every spring around our house. The first flower to emerge. And every year I forget what the heck they are called😫

Attachments

• 894F8C8E-1E7B-4729-A01A-4062C7EECDFC.jpeg
    894F8C8E-1E7B-4729-A01A-4062C7EECDFC.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 56BBE60E-2DEE-40DD-BC4F-0C2DFE4B7A96.jpeg
    56BBE60E-2DEE-40DD-BC4F-0C2DFE4B7A96.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 0F5CF731-80F5-4E32-A816-2CE96037CAB0.jpeg
    0F5CF731-80F5-4E32-A816-2CE96037CAB0.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
Daffodils! I have a bunch around here also. The ferals have been spreading more over the years, and I planted a few more clumps from that site at work. I like them cause they're fairly long lasting. I also like the ones here cause they come up in the middle of nowhere for the most part. Yard flowers. I like those better than garden flowers.

I've heard that word before Marc, but I'm not sure where. It's for a flower, but I thought "daffodil" was universal here. I wonder if it's the same flower, or something different talked about here? I'm not really a 'flower guy'. I just hear stuff around, so it's on the periphery of my attention.

Jonquille is a common name for different species of the gender Narcissus (narcisse here), mainly all yellow, even if Narcissus jonquilla is an actual specie by itself (cf Wiki here). Other narcisse's species have the same morphology, but they can be white-yellow, white-orange, yellow-orange... and the size may vary. It's the first big flower in the spring around here. It's always a pleasure to watch out form them after the winter.

Oaks are budding here and getting that new sprout color in the rain. kind of reddish on the new wood when it gets wet.
Lower elevation the wild flowers are just starting. Carpets of little white or purple. CA Buckeye is leafing out as is the poison oak and elderberry. Almonds down in the valley flowering along with the bradford pears. Plums are doing nicely up here as well. No pictures though. Hard to take pictures of stuff that make you sneeze and eyes water for days :lol:

A nice little patch of Siberian squill...

IMG_20220325_181733.jpg

A bush I rescued from the burn pile last year...

IMG_20220325_181748.jpg

A gift from Spot(*Not* a flower)...

IMG_20220325_181850.jpg

Back