Tree felling vids

Here’s one to kick around.

ive done similar with a small maple, but instead of standing it up, we did 2 notch's opposing eachother to have the bottom 5ft or so collapse onto itself, this was before buying my GRCS and we needed to hang the tree and cut the bottom off in small chunks, this was a quick and dirty way to lose a few feet, pre tension the line, and since you can pull the tree with a rope to break the hinge I felt it was quite safe in the moment

I wonder where Jake first saw this technique, I originally saw it on facebook about 2 months ago, maybe he was poking around one of the groups im on?

Terrible music!
Nice job, awkward situation. well executed

If you want me to be critical I’d say there was too much big stuff being cracked over with the GRCS. Takes a while to set all that up, better off doing it in 3 or 4 smaller pieces, tie, tension, cut, swing, rinse and repeat. Keeps momentum and rhythm going rather than a long stop for one piece. I always suspect a lot of this is for the camera.

Thats me being deliberately critical though.
Good job.

Anyone with a sharp saw and a pair of balls or ovaries could have cut his/her way out of the last one.

Of course, anyone with a grain of sense would have bored and tripped it and avoided the situation all together.

Was fat Frankie trying to emulate Murphy's out of the box tecniques and fell that tree with a micro notch or none at all?

I couldn't see a notch in the vid. I also didn't see any reason the tree behaved as it did assuming it was cut normally. Left it in a pretty bad spot. What's the preferred recovery for a tree like that? Maybe try pulling it sideways with a rope?

Except for the ewxtremely irritating "music", that is just another day in the woods for me.

Yes, been pinched on a bore, mexican pepper (Schinus terebinthifolius) it's very twisty.
I unbolted the power head, went home had a beer, a nice meal and a good sleep and came back the next day with the polesaw and pieced it until the pinch freed up.
It was 100m down the track at my neighbors place...away from anything and anybody.

Robusta will pinch w all the aerial roots 041C7812-3441-4E68-A4BC-F22DE58BBD1A.jpeg

i look at this picture and I’m just like WTF…. No offense… I thought it was a topping job til I watched the video.

Buckin brought up a pinched bar on a bore cut. I never thought about that but on twisted leaning trunks, I could see it happening. Anyone get pinched while boring? What did you do to recover?
I got that on a cracked trunk. I bored to avoid a barber-chair (as the split was already there). It didn't explode on me but I got the bar stuck. I made a new bore cut above with an other saw and rimming in the same time. Nearly got me again.
A couple times was when I came too close to the front of my hinge at the far side. Part of the hinge collapsed under the load and crushed the bar. One had just the back cut a little above with the other saw, as the bore was well enough for the purpose. The other one got a complete new set of cuts two diameters above after removing the saw's body.

I swear, there must be a thousand different ways of getting your chainsaw stuck in a cut. I know, because I'm an expert.

And over the years I have learned avoiding most scenarios only takes understanding the forces of tension and pressure (bind) and how both work, independently or together, on the stems of a tree.

With simple instruction, less than an hour, any able-bodied person with common sense and sound mind can be taught how to read the binds in tree, and all the tricks to relieving those binds in an efficient and safe manner. After which they will undoubtedly get their chainsaw stuck in the next tree they cut.

Isn't that the way it goes.

I still get stuck on occasion, yeah, but not near as often as I once use to.

Back