Tree felling vids

Yes, agreed, too much.

This one was pushing the cedar against dead limbs from the fir, and pushing green cedar limbs against the fir trunk.

I'd hate to do cleanup after him, the way he cut everything into itty bitty pieces.
Also why trip every top instead of simply spearcut it and let it go vertically down....WAY faster.

Last edited:
Its ok. Plus 1 for a bit of spear cutting
Done lots of this stuff over the years.
I’d have done things a bit different.
Pointless all this 5 cuts on each stem you cut, 2 for the gob, couple of snicks on the sides of the hinge then the back cut, waste of energy. It’s not going to split you in half, if the bark peels a bit, so what?
Why not wear spikes? Sure, you’re not removing it but everything you taking off you can spike, make life easier.

Anyway, more than one way to skin a cat, he’s there, I’m not.
The guy knows his job.

Might be able to if a single kerf on the face is made first. That's how I usually do it. The back cut needs to meet just above so it doesn't hang up and not slide off.

Looked like he was manhandling most of them. Straight through the back and toss looked like it would have worked.

I'm seeing perhaps a tendency to leave a little too much hinge, between this one and the previous vid. But that's better than over cutting it. Experience will fix this little thing.

She's really coming along, Sean. Congrats on several levels :).
I’m still guilty of this at times. Figure you can always take more off but you can’t put it back on!

Shaving bark off, at the hinge, allows a person to more accurately dial in their hinge thickness, without missing a bypass or having debris plug up the kerf, disguising the actual depth.

On the slight backleaning spar, in striking distance of the house, she had 1/2" thickness, gutted hinge to set up the triple stack.

First time using a bore-cut, as the co-dom fork's height necessitated it.
Space for the horizontal bar started a few feet higher.

I spear cut with my 150... muffler modded, it's a little screamer.
Pick your timber though.

So do I. It works well when modded but is a plum as standard.

That type of poplar regrowth is pretty snappy. Maybe that was the reason but more than likely he is trying to be an ambassador for recommended cutting techniques in the UK. I bet his boss said if he was filming no spear cuts LOL

If under-powered, I'll cut a Coos Bay-ish way... starting on one side, cut it, pulling the saw around to the other side, staying in one plane, only cutting the back slightly. Then, come in, from the back, with less wood to release it, with barberchair reduction from the side cuts having isolated stress from the holding wood.

So do I. It works well when modded but is a plum as standard.

That type of poplar regrowth is pretty snappy. Maybe that was the reason but more than likely he is trying to be an ambassador for recommended cutting techniques in the UK. I bet his boss said if he was filming no spear cuts LOL
Funny, I learned spear cuts in the UK, Lantra and C&G...but I get what you mean for sure.

Yeah the music wouldn't be my first choice but I could handle it. Nice work, eh?

Back