Tree felling vids

Last year I got to climb and cut a limb off a black oak that CDF could not put out.
Burn pile threw sparks into a hollow limb between 30 and 40 feet up. HO did not want to call them back out and risk a large fine. They had already been once and even shot foam into it.
Slippery as all get out, foam on moss. Smokey nasty climb. SRT to butcher it in sections. Double cutting with the 2511 with a 12" bar. Tree still stands. Once it hit the ground, it would flare. Put the mess out on the ground. Daughter gave me some home baked cookies. Did the deed in the dark with my truck LED lights.
First time for everything.
Prior to that, just a three cut if you have wood left from the ground fanning the flames with your exhaust. Crazy hot.

The fire was above me.

We were burning on the 1101 north circuit, right-away, and sparks from our control burns started the tops of two snags on fire. From where, in no time at all, the sparks really started flying.

It demanded immediate action.
Yep you win x2. And demand lots of munny. “ just run up and top the tree burning overhead” “it’s fine” lol
Now that’s a story!

I've invested too much in her training.

She was beasting it up with big fir limbs into the chipper yesterday.

Stacking a wedge with a nylon plate for a cedar fell. I knew she had just enough room short of the chipper.
I was climbing at the time...2' to spare.
20230601_141719.jpg
20230601_141714.jpg
And she can Sing, Play Mandolin, Cook, and is a Great Mother!

Attachments

• 20230601_141648.mp4
    6.8 MB
I've invested too much in her training.

She was beasting it up with big fir limbs into the chipper yesterday.

Stacking a wedge with a nylon plate for a cedar fell. I knew she had just enough room short of the chipper.
I was climbing at the time...2' to spare.
View attachment 130065
View attachment 130067
And she can Sing, Play Mandolin, Cook, and is a Great Mother!

I'm seeing perhaps a tendency to leave a little too much hinge, between this one and the previous vid. But that's better than over cutting it. Experience will fix this little thing.

She's really coming along, Sean. Congrats on several levels :).

Last edited:
Back