Tree felling vids

Very unusual to see someone in the PNW use a pushing chain in a back cut
I thought the exact same thing. Not to mention the fact a pulling chain would have brought the motor lower into a more ergonomic position, imo.

That was a good, short, intense vid. Those guys on on their game.

Back chaining is a huge part of falling and bucking in timber. How a timber faller goes about doing either may not always seem intuitive to the urban tree man.

That said, and having been there and done that, I agree with Cory's thoughts on the vid.

I'd have liked to have heard him explain why it's important to have a clean face, and explain why he took the bark off at the wedge location.

'Saw shaps'?!?:/:

Plumb bob- all these years, I've yet to use one, I gotta get that together.

Says the humboldt cut is cuz the mills want it that way, a butt with square end. Ages ago I thought that was indeed the reason for a humboldt but later on, thru the innernet including folks here at the House, I learned it is far more for the reason of affecting the fall of the tree, making the butt slip off the stump to help the rest of the tree fall easier, likely saving it more.

John, I'm not sure if you're asking why he shaved bark at wedge spot; if you are, it's because bark is softer than wood and so it will squish as the wedge is driven in and it won't lift as well as wedging wood only with no bark.

Maybe the tree was too fat to limb it by walking beside it on the ground but seemed to me it would have been easier and mean less stooped over work.

John, I'm not sure if you're asking why he shaved bark at wedge spot; if you are, it's because bark is softer than wood and so it will squish as the wedge is driven in and it won't lift as well as wedging wood only with no bark.
Yea, it just would have been nice to explain it. Someone watching might assume he's just playing with the axe for kicks. I'd have also talked more about dutchmen in the context of a clean face. IMO, clipping the hinge on one side is less consequential than defects in the face.

Interesting.

What was up with that crazy looking descent arrangement?

I would lose my mind if I had to carry around all that water and tools on my belt all day :rockhard:

BC always has had pretty darn good sawyer training materials. As does the TreeHouse :D.

Those Japanese guys were good. Some of the stuff I didn’t really understand, but I wouldn’t be getting a lot of restful sleep the night before some of those fells.

Back