Tree felling vids

So, when did crosscut logging end? This was produced some time after WWII. I'd guess 1950. When would the chainsaw have become the standard saw?

Interesting how virtually all the techniques are same as those in PNW.

Serious looking enviro destruction going on there yet good regen from saved seed trees is claimed.

I guess Tasmania is a world apart from the rest of Aussi land

Crazy all that timber goes for newsprint. Is Euc no good for lumber?

@SeanKroll would love all the pickaroon action shown

Overall, giant trees into newsprint for reporters to communicate news to the wider world, I would say it illustrates the ridiculous high level of human ingenuity

Timber in Tasmania does not all go for newsprint.
'Tassie oak' is euc and is used in flooring, trim, furniture, it's fabulous timber.
Other uses for timber is woodchip, veneer, structural timber, boatbuilding, specialty timbers for fine furniture etc, etc.
Plantation pine and euc can go for woodchip, some for sawlogs.
Native forest logging is phasing out.
I'm not an expert of Tasmania forest industry, it has a checkered history. Currently the government subsidized forestry company is called Sustainable Timber Tasmania (STT). There are several private forestry companies as well.

So, when did crosscut logging end? This was produced some time after WWII. I'd guess 1950. When would the chainsaw have become the standard saw?
Interesting point.
When you look at the power and usability of the earliest powered chainsaws, there must have been a considerable overlap with those hand cross-cutting saws, which (by the look of it) when sharp and operated by experts was an efficient tool.
It’s not like they turned up one day and were handed 881s.

I wish there were more pictures and/or video. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on there. What's the one guy doing with the tree? Kinda looks like he has a sawzall. He might be maestro, crafting the perfect undercut to swing it away from the house. Or something like that anyway :^D

I can say, early in my career, we (i) misjudged my skills on a smallish tree next to a garage. It started to go a tad sideways toward the corner of the roof. We were in a panic! I looked down on the ground and saw a couple of 2X4s. I propped them up against the trunk, bracing, in such a way they would steer the tree as they were compressed. Away from the roof. Alls well that lands well. Close call, but I pulled it off. Sometimes luck is on our side.

The whole pic is pretty WTF, isn't it? It's a montage of incongruous vignettes. The miraculous ladder, coiling man, completely unconcerned with what's going on, spiderman with a possible ladder companion, and the precision surgeon taking his sweet unstressed time severing fibers with a scalpel or something. It almost looks like an AI composite. Not implausible.

Back