Tree felling vids

Look at you with the sharp eyes.

Yes walkie talkies. Been using them since before Senas were invented. Imo, they are very good overall with one glaring exception, they aren't good when ambient noise is high, which is why I bought a set of Senas several months ago.... which I have yet to install:/:

We use a backpack blower for all the large tasks while the handheld is useful for blowing off equipment because it is more manuverable. And it fits in the truck better too, it gets daily use.

Yes I fully gutted the hinge and the hinge was very thin on each side which is what allowed the massive piece to be hand-pushed. FTR I gutted the hinge while back cutting from each side rather gutting it via the face.

Rich, I was filming the new Ninja, he's a V10 rock climbing beast who is taking well to tree climbing.

Starting with the backcut's kinda weird. I guess there's technically nothing wrong with it, but it only gives you one chance to get your face right.

Do either or both links work?

The dust mask saved the day, yesterday. What a difference!

That was the bulk of my day, 28" bar for a tank, then 32" bar for 2/3s of a tank.

Thanks Wraptor!!
Why does it say “SouthSound Tree will know that I viewed the video”? SouthSound and SeanK aren’t the same, correct?

Yep, called "getting the jump on the tree."

Sawing a facecut into an already back leaning tree makes it lean back all that much harder. More tension and pressure bears on less wood. In a small tree like that you can get the saw stuck just starting the back cut. Or you may end up driving your wedges against the bar and chain. Either way, bad ju ju.

Starting the backcut and setting wedges first gets the jump on the tree. With the wedges set first you can even raise a back leaner a good ways before even starting the facecut.

It's a darn good trick in the toolbox, but does require a little more attention and skill, especially in small trees.

It's a different way of looking at the tree and shifting tension and pressure forces on the stump.

That makes sense. The vast majority of our work is in suburban residential lots, so we rarely have an opportunity to drop entire trees. For a back leaner, I've always used a pull line, sometimes backed up with wedges.

Undermining COG on a large stem like that takes a fair amount more cutting/time. I made a thin hinge and thought it might go on its own given the slight favor. Coulda wedged it but pushing was quicker.

Geez the flack on that vid, tough crowd :/:
100% agree, it’s tiring cutting a big lump out of a tree to undermine a COG. Especially with a bigger saw on spikes up a spar.

Am I the only one who did’t know SeanKroll and SouthSoundTree were one and the same?! It makes sense though now that I know. They shared “mannerisms” as well as work and language types.

Back