Tree felling vids

A bottle jack would have helped. And the line angles he had on the floating anchor looked a bit flat to me. Probably massive loads at its ends.

Funny thing today. Bob Skillman Jr was over at my neighbor's Brother Charlie, along with Brother Lennie who was bringing over a head of homegrown cauliflower for their almost 90 year old mother who was, as usual, out on the rider mower.

Jacob had recently come over to do a drone video and some type of documentary on Skillman Brothers' Logging. Bob Skillman Sr. is about 90-94, I think I heard. Mid-late 80's at least.
The Skillman mill is 1/2 a mile up the road from us.

I've been trying to catch his attention and get him here...to the forum, and maybe to tackle some trees with me.

Why would you want him to help? Serious question.

Yes he has or had a big youtube following but that doesn't mean a lot ... other than he has put a lot of time into filming and editing.

I watched a few of his videos before he parted company with Eastside. Some of it was a bit cringeworthy, for example the day they got the new crane. Felling tops into the crane as it didn't have enough reach to pick them correctly.

Customers asking the most relatively basic questions and him not knowing the answers.

There were a few others.

IMO he has a few skills and videos his work. I think the audience with little knowledge or experience are impressed.

He still has a lot to learn yet tries to come over as an expert. We were all young at some stage and I know when I had been climbing 6-8 years, I though I knew a lot. Move the time line 10 years and I realised I didn't know as much as I thought i did back then.

Edit: And take that bloody wedding ring off. Asking to be degloved.

Edit, Edit: Just watching the last video. He starts talking about the mechanical advantage and the pulley with grab should be at the basal anchor. He explains that if it is in the midline then it won't be reachable or able to reduce the pull under tension. Good points!
Yet he then goes and sets the block with pulley and grab in the middle pulling rope.

That is what I mean by acting smarter than he is. I am sure he is a nice guy in real life, but trying to come over as an expert and then making such basic and contradictory errors shows his lack of knowledge.

Last edited:
I wore a school ring for about my first month surveying, til one day tailchaining, the partychief was pulling like a mule, and the thong around my hand crushed the ring into my fingers. Left an imprint for at least an hour later, and hurt like hell. Never wore a ring to work again.

@biggun I'd have him help if he wanted for fun...I have at least one tree (big hollow euc) that would make for good video. I don't climb, so he could help with that. Also, since I don't climb, I would be one of those who wouldn't recognize if he did something wrong...at least not without scrutinizing. I don't think he tries to come off as an expert. He said exactly the opposite at the end of his last humbling vid. I think the fact that some of the other "names" in the industry seem to respect him means something. I think @gf beranek has him pegged.

I need to get a rubber ring...I have a large burn scar on my ring finger. I was young and dumb and not wearing gloves. I tack welded a part and a large "dingle berry" (glob of molten steel) stuck to my titanium ring...yeow.

I've tried but gloves drive me crazy. My hands are usually pretty roughed up. *I do wear them now when welding or doing other really gnarly stuff. But not normal tree work or mechanicing, etc. Just if the tree is a cactus or something...

Gloves for me, mostly. I do wear my wedding ring, even though I know it always presents some level of hazard. Piercings? Not.

I love wearing gloves. One of my favorite parts of good weather is wearing gloves at work, even fingerless gloves. Too hot in the summer unless I really need the protection. I found some really nice harborfreight leather mechanic style vibration reduction gloves on the road a couple days ago. XL, and barely used. Looking forward to trying them out. I need to study them closer. They might be chainsaw gloves rather than beating them up in general work.

edit:
These are the gloves I found...

Back