Tree felling vids

Maybe its a Georgia thing!

@letsdig18 on Instagram clears loads of land that way using large volvo excavators and no chain saw except to buck the large logs to lengths and saw off the stumps.

That's not a Georgia thing, that's a pulling out small vegetation with a hoe :D. That's how I've seen land clearance being done, couple scoups to rip the tension side of the roots, then stick a tooth in and shove. Occasionally they will drop some with a saw, but usually just use the machine to do everything.

We are speaking about how many tons in pulling power here ?

On this vid, the work of the chain is easier to see.
It should be interesting to study mathematicaly the behaviour of the chain ( if one is inclined to :tongue3:).

Last edited:
Yeah, I had no idea that method could be used against large trees.

One of the youtube comments said 'the rain forest has no chance against humanity.' which I guess is the same as saying humanity has no chance against humanity.

In the Amazonas it would be Soy beans to be exported as feed for the 27 million Danish hogs.
Malaysia it would be oil palms, also for export.

I haven't done a lot of tree jobs this year due, in part, to the fact that I can barely walk some days. I just don't trust the hip to not got out on me in the middle of a big job. Also have been very shorthanded and picking the low fruit, which is stump grinding. I'm scheduled for a total hip replacement on Feb 5. Hopefully be back in action soon after, and ready to get back into the trees. This is the last job I did about a month ago. I never would have known how close I came to serious injury without watching the video closely. Large limb cracked and hung up between two trees that started coming down when the first tree was felled. I was standing right underneath the arc at the first stump. You can just barely see it if you look closely in this video as the tree begins to go. And then again after the camera pans back to me you can see the tips hanging down as the limb got hung up in the rear tree. I noticed it as I was setting the line in the second (rear) tree, which is not shown in this video. Also of note is the variation of the slai cut used here, which ended up throwing a chain so obviously needs refinement, but I think it will end up being a valuable tool in the box. I've only used it a couple times so still experimenting.

Back