Tree felling vids

One of the biggest applications for Murphy's Law is chain milling. Any manual on the work should start off with that disclaimer.

heres a couple from a job we did on Tuesday in nisene marks state park, bringing a Douglas fir and some live oaks down. the fir measured out at 200'+. the go-pro shot is un-edited, i found out that my computer cant handle hd vid very well, but my friend is going to put a vid together with this and the rest of the footage from the job. the time lapse was off my camera, also un-edited. fun job and a beautiful day.<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q13UXwiLaLU?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q13UXwiLaLU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object><object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gcEF70dsVec?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gcEF70dsVec?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

i learned that from watching your video series! using the ratios of proportion to height really works. i dropped four chunks like that and managed to land them all pretty flat. thank you for making a great learning series in those videos. jaime

Just curious, do most people keep their climb line attached above when putting in the face, or bring it down for the two tie ins below the cut before starting?

It depends on a lot of things. Often times I leave a stub to rappel off of rather than spike down to cut the next section. By that time, in a big fir like that anyway, my shins are sore and any relief I can get I take advantage. specially the last 50 or so feet. Some times even saw a notch the top of the pole to act as a crotch for tying in.

Shinsore, god of pain

Would you generally retrieve your climb line before putting in the face? Jaime put in his face then retrieved, just wonder if there is generally a preferred order?

I do it that way, too.
Especiall on a fat tree it is nice to be able to swing around a bit and change position when cutting the face.
I usually yell down to my groundie to remind me not to cut the piece out before taking my line out of it.
Only done that once, but that'll do for me.

Big chunk of ash, just as it started moving slightly, I felt it in the line and realized I was a micron from screwing up badly.
Got the line out, reset it and finished the cut, with noone on the ground noticing.
( didn't have my own groundie with me that day, I was helping a guy who got himself stuck trying to take that ash down.)
Feeling that little wiggle in the line as the block started moving was nasty, though:\:

I, too, Stig have told my groundman to remind me to bring the climb line down after the face cut. It's much easier to make that face cut with a high TIP but forgetting to bring the line down before the back cut can be bad juju. I have started my back cut before and realized the climb line was still above me. Bad feeling.

I have also read of guys getting dragged down with the top when they didn't remember to reset their climbing line.

Ditto on the climb line as Gerry, Stig and Gary have stated. Once you are in position for the face, you have your flip line on the tree anyway so you are safetied in. Just double check your life line to be below the cut before you make the back cut. So much easier on you to just rap down the stick if you are felling anything of length off it, then reset the safety.
I also have Rob on the jobs to eye my line as I am working to make sure as well. Cant see much around a big stick.

Jay: I'll make free to disagree with The Capable Jaime, The Honorable Stig, and even the Reverend Jer, on this one; because, in my experience, routine breeds complacency, and for those of us who live in coniferous areas, blocking down a spar, at some point, becomes a fairly routine job. (And thus one which is complacently done.) And yet, the thing is: I'd never even dream of telling any one of them boys, how to do their job, because, for them, pulling their line out before the back cut has obviously become a well-worn part of the routine. Man I get wordy after my second beer.:what:

The point I'm trying to make is that a security knot at the bottom of your climb-line--Willie and Irish Joe will attest to this--is a really good thing; and so is descending on your spurs (Jer: You might have Cadillacs, but I got the Escalades baby--extra foam ;).) and flipline without bothering about a climbline.

To each his own. Just watch your tail. That's all I'mtryin'ta say.... or else... :O

Stig's story makes me physically ill.

Having said all that: Well done Jaime. Feels great to land a perfect belly-flop eh?

lots of good points of view. im super paranoid about cutting my tie in, i almost did it once ona a much smaller piece and it gave me the heebie-jeebies something fierce. that said, i almost always ues my climb line set above to cut my face cut. on spars i usually dont leave stubs on my way up, maybe one at the top. i usually choke my climbline at arms reach above me so i can lean off to the side to make the face, then when i come around to make my back cut my line is between me and the tree. that way i cant begin my back cut without first moving my climb line. its what im comfortable with. thanks for the props guys. jaime

heres from todays job at my grandmothers. i cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix the squashed look of the vid, its late, im frustrated, i give up for now.<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m1RYn1bGL7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The last fall, looks like your wife could have used a longer rope.. She looked to be awful close to where the top ended up when she was pulling. Just a thought, not trying to be critical. I shot a video of a stick I took down and then noticed, Rob walked right across the top of the fall zone. If part of the trunk broke off, he could have been fubar-ed. Now that won't happen again ;)
Maybe in the YouTube settings on size might be the problem, but Gerry is more familiar with all this than I.

You have to love a wife that will work with you. :thumbup: That there is a keeper ;)

RE: squisher...........Could be a number of simple reasons.

>The video was filmed with a 4:3 ratio (standard def) and was uploaded to youtube, or whichever, with the 16:9 ratio option box checked.
> just need to keep in mind that the original aspect ratio is the same as the uploaded options............

The last fall, looks like your wife could have used a longer rope.. She looked to be awful close to where the top ended up when she was pulling. Just a thought, not trying to be critical. I shot a video of a stick I took down and then noticed, Rob walked right across the top of the fall zone. If part of the trunk broke off, he could have been fubar-ed. Now that won't happen again ;)
Maybe in the YouTube settings on size might be the problem, but Gerry is more familiar with all this than I.

You have to love a wife that will work with you. :thumbup: That there is a keeper ;)

the camera position makes her look closer than she was, i look after my woman;). as for the squish, my camera videos in widescreen and i had it sidways to get the scene. when i rotate it i end up, usually, with black bars to either side to frame the now vertical widescreen into 4:3. for whatever reason, the editing software (windows movie maker) decided, instead of cropping, it would just flatten the vertical into widescreen format. what is really frustrating is that the raw clips play perfectly, its only when i import them into movie maker that they squish (even the thumbnail views in maker look the way they should). jaime

Back