Tree felling vids

It depends on a lot of things. Often times I leave a stub to rappel off of rather than spike down to cut the next section. By that time, in a big fir like that anyway, my shins are sore and any relief I can get I take advantage. specially the last 50 or so feet. Some times even saw a notch the top of the pole to act as a crotch for tying in.

Shinsore, god of pain

This is a week old but I just saw it, my 'puter was down from the hurricaine. There was a big thread on this at TB which said alot of guys have been hurt or killed rapelling off a top notch when there rope came out of the notch. I don't see how this could happen but nevertheless alot of people say it is dangerous.

Thoughts?

Ya, I guess but it is hard to figure how somebody lets that happen.

Cory: In my experience, it's easier to "let happen" than you wld think. I've come disgustingly close to goofing up like that in a big way. It has to do with the changing angles(or I shld almost say degrees of rotation--like hands on a clock)that can take place when one repels. Not a trick to show a beginner. If you use it, you wanna make darned sure you're all good.

I think a lot happens when guy push too hard for too long, just out of sheer exhaustion and stress little things can be overlooked and a person can become more complacent.

Notching is for coming down only! And make it a good notch!

Much more secure is to lay a friction saver into the notch. It pretty much eliminates the chance of you rope running out of it, but still, Straight down only.

That is where the adjustable friction saver comes in handy.
Eliminates the need for cutting a notch and is pretty much failsafe for going down a spar.

I say " pretty much" because there are people who can screw anything up.

Its still hard to envision how it might happen; shallow notch, sloped sides, too much horizontal type pull at the initial moments of rapelling?

So right about staying sharp, Jerry. Falling trees in the woods on a daily basis, is telling me that there is so much to watch out for, and it gets easy to become complacent. Speed is different from complacency, that has to be kept in mind. The learning curve seems to have unavoidable dangers along the way, such that you need luck too.

new one;)
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhOwA7BPgTw?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhOwA7BPgTw?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Instead of dust, I thought it might be pollen. :O Our abundant Sugi trees are almost that loaded, with hay fever problems in mass.

it was dust, and lots of it. the area we were working had been graded, and so was nothing but powdery dirt. made for crappy grinding, but cool effects. jaime

Wow Porkbrick: You got some editing skills--let alone tree skills! Nice vid thanks.

You too Butch! Yeah I cld feel the wind in both of em! You cut like a climber, by the way... you like those high stumps so you can see what's goin' on, don't ya!?;)

Back