Tree felling vids

Heres a no clean up pine removal. I wasn't going to post it due to the shakyness but you tubes video stabilizer is incredible. You might think its still shaky but it's way better than original.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UHKc7zmll5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well done.. Top separated nicely Willie. Thanks for reminding me about the pounding stick trick. Seems I always remember having a piece of fire wood to pound with on the ground if I need it.... Forget I can do that aloft as well :D
Have to love a no clean up :D
:thumbup:

Stig, I thought you would get me with the over sized bar:D

Scott, I wanted to send the top the other way but the wind was wrong, I set the rope so the camera man could give it a tug if the wind quit so I wouldn't have to wail on wedges with the stick.

I have a mini tri pod in the glove box, I just keep forgetting about it. I showed the groundie the video so he could see how it came out. My old groundie may not have been very good at working but he did turn into a decent camera man:D

There are 5 rules with video. One, use a tripod. Two, use the zoom not for effect, but only to compose the shot. Three, keep the clip lengths a minimum of fifteen seconds and not longer than 30. Four, change angles often. Five, don't forget to turn the record off when you're taking a piss.

Haha!
What do you mean about the zoom?
If you have a few minutes would you mind critiquing that video? Public or PM if your of a mind, I don't mind.
Guess I should get a decent tripod, been thinking about one for glassing anyway

Not to derail. So I keep it short. For the most part, Willie, the zoom should only be used to frame the shot. Unless you want to reveal something dramatic in scale or similar significance. Other wise over use of the zoom becomes a distraction to the viewer. It can be like shaky video and make some people woosey.

Get a tripod high enough so the camera man doesn't have to stoop. If you're going to be glassing you understand why very quick.

Plan with the camera man in advance where the best angles are and stay in sync with them. Near a crucial moment, like when a top falls, if they need or want to change the camera angle give them a minute to do so and get set up before tripping it.

Remembering these little things will make our videos more pleasing and enjoyable to watch.

Nice job. Without the zoom we might not have been able to see him hang that pounding stick off his harness. Slick.....

Jay, you can use the zoom all you want but after zooming in compose the shot and then record. In commercial and documentary type video most of the zooming in and out is edited out of the final production. So in the end it's a mix of close up zooms and far away shots from different angles without the actual zooms themselves. And also most clip lengths from any angle, near or far, are under ten seconds long.

Understood, and it makes sense to only show the effects that you want to. A video camera is on my list when economics improve some day.

If you wouldn't mind me chiming in, here. I do quite abit of video work. Local commercials, docs, how to's, and safety videos. If you have a cell phone with video, or even stills, you can make a video.
>>First you need an idea
>>Then, determine your audience and how you want to present your product to them: Youtube, dvd, etc.
>>Next, you need to know what you want to say. Get organized before you go out and shoot. Simply, write down on a piece of paper, what you want to say in a simple outline.
>>Then, write a simple "treatment": In words, describe the scenes the viewer will be seeing. Here's an example for tree guys:

"We first see scenes of a big valley and then scenes of a hillside. It's 5 a.m. The sun is coming up over the horizon. Next, the camera shows a pick up truck arriving on the landing. A logger steps out and goes to the back of the truck and gets his gear ready for the day. The camera follows him out to his strip. We see different shots and agles of him sizing up his area. He gets to work. Close up of him starting his saw. He pulls the starter cord Loud "blam!" We see different shots and angles of his undercut, tghen the backcut. The tree goes down with a crash."

>>Now, write a shot list. This is a list of the exact shots you want. This is done by going through your treatment and listing the shots, one by one. When you get out to the woods, now you're organized.

>>If you take some time, beforehand, and plan everything out, you won't be out there trying to figure it out when the pedal hits the metal. Often, it's best to pre arrange with the folks you will be filming, to set aside some dedicated time to film, so you're not getting the boss upset that there's no wood coming to the landing.

THE OTHER WAY TO DO IT IS...........
>>Just film yourself. Like Gerry said, use a tripod, or some method to keep the camera steady. Vary the shots: Some wide, some in tight, use different points of view. An addition to Gerry's input would be try to get the best lighting you can. either film in direct sun or all shade. Most consumer cameras will adjust to the light conditions, but can get confused if there is sun and shade, together. Another input I can provide is try not to get your body between the camera and the action, blocking what you want to show. Also, like Gerry said, keep your shots short. Just long enough to tell the story, and then change camera views. If you watch a television commercial, there is usually 15 to 25 different shots in a 30 second spot.

>>Keep it simple, plan it out..........have fun.

Lighting is always the big one and the woods, unfortunately, can be the worst for good lighting. On sunny days it's far too contrasty for good video. I prefer early in the morning, light foggy days or light over cast. It softens the highlights and brings out detail in the shadows. But on the job we just don't have the choice of lighting and work with what we got.

When shooting stills on a sunny day in the woods I aim to compose the pictures with the sun behind the trees and set the exposure for the shadows. It tends to out line the trees in fine highlights. Really cool effect. I do it with video too, but with it trying to follow any action can be very distracting in spite the tact.

Has something to do with a fellow named Murphy, I belive.

Back