The Official Work Pictures Thread

I have. That's why you use a shackle. Really light loads are fine just feeding the eye, but on large loads sling elongation starts coming in to play, necessitating the shackle for the bend radius and abrasion. Even on wire you use a shackle, and if it's a screw shackle like most are you need to make sure the screw is on the eye part so it can't unthread as the sling lengthens to take the load.

I once used wire slings with no shackle, choked a good sized Norway maple leader, picked it nice and smooth but as the piece was being boomed left, the piece broke at the choking spot and came crashing down, miraculous no injuries or damage. I believe the choker acted like a garrote and sliced thru the piece. Scary chit.

Never had a problem choking like this. When I’m climbing I prefer the shackles. Find it easier to set up. I pretension slowly and we make sure everything is riding right. I’ll have to double check but if I remember correctly each of those slings is rated around 12k choked so it’s really not a heavy load on them.
F wire chokers! Those are meant for slinging steel. Hate those damn things.

" slings terrify me ever since I watched a brand new one melt through itself..... "

What were the circumstances behind that, Paul?
We were about to pick the butt log of a big white oak, we knew it was going to be heavy so my crane op said he wanted to use a new sling. We did choker it through the eye not with a shackle . As he was lifting it the eye tightened up a bit and the friction just melted through itself. and dropped the log.

Interesting side note, that log landed on my HH1 and drove it into the ground (grass). I used that HH for 10 years after that and it is now on its way to Tree Muggs :lol: . Try that test with your Zigzag

Paul, that is funny, because I tell my apprentices you can drive an Abrams over a HH1 and still use it.

I’ve only ever used big buck pads on bashlin… always liked them… better than the Klein L pads before hand.

Corey, the move is gonna cost a bit and also fixing up the new place….
Learned of some talented Trée folks out there, I gotta check out The Local Tree Fun.
Not sure if I can do anything else but work, all I’ve ever known… just now experienc3 has given me better choices and odds.

Less than 8 weeks til departure.

To be honest the big buck pads spin to the rear… puts the top of the hook behind your calf… I just got used to it.
i am really interested in the Carbon Fiber geckos except the 1 million dollar price.

Blaze never dies.

Last edited:
Just saws…. I have all my old toys climbing
and rigging…. I gave them the GRCS, I kept the Hobbs.
i gave them all my three strand and one shit block as my rigging gear….. but also a brand new 395 and 3120….

Just saws… I have my husky electric climber. Which is no match for an 020 for confident back cut chasing….

Last edited:
There's a good Hawaii guy on here, or used to be. Trees Sand Surf? Idk, just a guess at his SN

Back