The Official Work Pictures Thread

Bummer Cory, but all trees will come to an end at some point.

John, depending on the state of "deadness", I know some mill guys who'll take large ones, and it's always good for firewood, as long as it's still solid.

Is the wood in a fully dead ash any good? Seems like a waste to just leave it there.
95% of it is good and solid.

But there is more wood than people (around here) can use. Or it's inaccessible and therefore economically unfeasible to do other than let it rot.

True BeerGeek but it's a shame to see and entire species extirpated.

They were such beautiful trees too, some of my earliest climbing breakthroughs were in spreading ash trees, doing prunes. Super strong wood when green became punky dead trash that explodes when it hits the ground. So sad to go remove those trees later.

A few days ago, I heard on the radio that an American aphid appeared in Russia this year. This American aphid affects only ash trees. (,, the hand of Washington,, by analogy with,, the hand of Moscow,,)) Here in St. Petersburg and the surrounding areas, I have not yet met shrinking ash trees. Gentlemen, what signs of defeat can you indicate, and how dangerous is it? Now the ash tree is threatened with extinction, like the elm?

Here's an article in English of what I believe Andrey's talking about...

Seems a like it would be easier to deal with than the borer, but later in the article they mention the "ash-green emerald narrow-bodied goldfish". I think something got boogered in translation :^D That's the guy I'd really watch out for.

edit:
Thinking about it, that might not have been a translation error, and would explain the spinner caught in the tree. Hmm...

In the paper, they say that this aphid affects only the Pensylanya ash. But it's a big family with plenty of different species, each with theirs own tastes and habits.

HOs with views almost always want more.

They are buying mountain views.

I'm frequently manipulating my view, and I don't even have mountains. A nice 2x2 or 3x__ buck, recently.

Pruning is rarely for shade trees' sake, and for that matter, orchard trees included.

Corey: That saw sounded pretty rad was there any work done to it?

Andre: All REAL tree guys prune with spurs except a handful of super talented East Coast guys, and Deva and Chris Maragulia. Everybody knows that. SO stupid to ever go up there without Spurs on... specially in the rain.

Nah Jed, just stock thru and thru.

It is a 572, its a pretty good saw. I used to run 576s but they're no longer made. The 572s are a bit lighter, a bit physically smaller, and cut a bit faster :dude:

Reactions: Jed
Andre: All REAL tree guys prune with spurs except a handful of super talented East Coast guys, and Deva and Chris Maragulia. Everybody knows that. SO stupid to ever go up there without Spurs on... specially in the rain.
I would be especially interested to see how these guys work without spurs in a strong wind. My experience shows that it is possible to work in spurs on coniferous trees. On deciduous trees, I do pruning without spurs.

According to all the laws of the genre, a professional Russophobe Jay (woodworkingboy) should enter into a dialogue here, and accuse me and Russia in my person of all imaginable and unthinkable sins). But why haven't I seen him for a long time?

Reactions: Jed
Back