The Official Work Pictures Thread

Black locust. Great trees. Interesting form, and lots of flowers. Best part is you can have as many as you want. You'll keep getting new trees til you say uncle.

One of the few times I was talking to my neighbor(the one that's scared of trees), the subject of locust came up. He said he didn't like them cause of the name. I'm thinking, "If there was any doubt you're an idiot, it's long gone now..."

There's a bit of a dichotomy with black locust. They seem prone to heartrot, but they're also noted for rot resistance. Me just guessing would say the fungus responsible for rot won't survive well in dead wood(eg a fencepost), so if you get good wood, it'll stay good. Perhaps someone knows for sure?

Thuja plicata has the same tendency, heart rot but apart from that extreme rot resilience.
I was told that because of the fast growth, wide rings in their youth, they don't have so much of the chemicals that make then rot resistant ( In the case of Thuja, Thujone and thujaplicine) in the first rings.
That comes later when they slow down some.

Got a call this morning for a lead out of a ~75ft Linden tree at one of my brother's commercial properties. The lead was at least 50 ft. long, and was moved out of the street by govt. workers with an excavator. There was almost an entire tree in that pile, as it took me, one of my noobs and the Dingo 4+ hours to cut up, separate, chip and load 12 2 ft. logs on the dump trailer( too big for chipper). See attached pics for the lead and the remaining tree (which I got the okay for taking down in the next few weeks):

lapp_linden_lead_orig.jpg lapp_linden.jpg

Two weeks on this job. Damn near 100* heat the entire stint. Edge of the town crick. So what you walk on is fill mixed with mining tailings and river rock. Crack house before this guy bought it. Adding two more small units and parking. Sheds will get dozed. Back graded out. Approx 80 yard of chips. 19 yards of rakings. Could not chip any rakings because metal and shit kept hatching out of the ground. Every tree has metal in them. Even some of the pruning I did over the structures. Still have to schedule a crane for the one tree. I think I took a picture of one of the attachment points next to the dead limb I mentioned in another thread. I'm beat.
Stumps left high for excavator to pull out and because metal. So it works out. 20210709_115213.jpg 20210709_115208.jpg 20210709_115241.jpg 20210709_115234.jpg 20210709_115411.jpg 20210709_115251.jpg 20210709_115438.jpg 20210709_115418.jpg
After math fodder.

That sucks, all that metal.

The worst thing I ever cut into was not metal, though I've had a turn or two in that barrel, too.

It was an old 6 oz. glass Coke bottle, dropped into a low hollow limb void on a really large red alder in a F.S. campground on the Clackamas River.

That bottle was tough.
:D

That sucks, all that metal.

The worst thing I ever cut into was not metal, though I've had a turn or two in that barrel, too.

It was an old 6 oz. glass Coke bottle, dropped into a low hollow limb void on a really large red alder in a F.S. campground on the Clackamas River.

That bottle was tough.
:D
Yeah, glass is hard shat.
Glass and ceramic insulaters abound up here. Lots of old telegraph line.

Well, it was certainly bigger than the pics suggested. Approximately 14” diameter (at the break), and over 50’ long.

I went up and hung a block about 15’ above it, and tied that line out past the break a few feet. Then I set a friction saver in an adjacent crotch and ran a line through and tied it a few feet out on the limb that was on the rear deck. Came down and hand-tensioned the friction saver line and locked it off on the porty at the base. Ran the other through a redirect block and ran it to a porty tied to the front of my truck. I eased back and tensioned it with the truck. Until this time they hadn’t been able to get inside to take pics for insurance because thymes were afraid the whole thing might come down.

I climbed up on top and started cutting/tossing. Got it down to one bearing point, then set a line in a tree at the other end of the trailer to be able to contain the swing of it once I cut it loose. Cut a three foot piece off the end and it was suspended out from over the trailer. Cut/lower/repeat. Then went up and cut the ragged tear off. Went rather smoothly. Four hours, including cutting a broken limb out of a sweet gum that the big limb broke down, and cutting several limbs off a ref oak, one of which was broken and hanging over the road.

C8F68807-EC6A-4D54-BE0A-6DDADA8FC100.jpeg 93E7248A-6C6B-4AAC-8A3A-163FBC8E602F.jpeg A636BBF0-4CCD-45FF-90D9-A722F1D4C93D.jpeg

Back