The Official Work Pictures Thread

We had to top out a hazard tree for the State forest.
A beech in bad shape, lots of Fomes fomentarius conks and the woodpeckers had been going hard at it, which is a bad sign in beech.
Last week it dropped a major branch on the road, so they called us.
I told the forester that I wouldn't really have minded if he had called a year ago!

Anyway, after looking it over with binoculars, I decided that the back side, away from the lean, had enough sound wood in it that the tree could be climbed, but it had to be pieced out, none of our usual, drop the top in one piece, stuff.

I told the apprentice that this was his chance to show his worth.

He was shit scared.
He had sweated his t-shirt through, before he even got his harness on.
I had brought my own climbing gear and told him that if he backed out, I'd do the tree. ( Which of course meant that he would be known for chickening out and letting an old, sick man do the job :lol:)

Once he was up there and had cut the first branch, he got totally calm and it was just business as usual. I've seen that happen with lots of apprentices, once the saw is running, the fear goes away.

He did real well on that tree and was about a foot taller when he returned to the ground.

Looks like I've made yet another good climber:)

20210708_084504.jpg 20210708_085006.jpg 20210708_093249.jpg 20210708_100940_001.jpg 20210708_102547.jpg

Good on ya, Stig! You got a happy and relieved hero there. Good he could settle down once into the fray. I can ID with being skittish before certain jobs...to the point I'll tell the folks around me chattering and asking stupid questions to "please let me focus on getting ready to do what I have to do... I need to think properly on things as I get ready." Most get my drift and back off.

Great pictures. Using shame shamelessly...you are a master teacher. :D

Crazy having to put the chip truck under the tree. No wrong moves allowed!

Nice.

Why the plywood, to prevent sawdust staining on the fence?

Why does eastside bother with the "www" in the boom lettering for eastsidetreeworks.com? Are there folks who still type in 'www'?? C'mon now.

Reactions: Jed
Nice.

Why the plywood, to prevent sawdust staining on the fence?

Why does eastside bother with the "www" in the boom lettering for eastsidetreeworks.com? Are there folks who still type in 'www'?? C'mon now.
Paul: Not so ballsy. (See response to Cory)

Cory: Couldn’t fit that pig. Had to go almost half way up (and didn’t wanna bang up the fence with the mondo lower limbs—thus the plywood.)

lol at World Wide Web.😂😂 See Corey... you East Coasters only have the stupid internet, but we PNW’s have the Information Super Highway.😂

Back