The Official Work Pictures Thread

You know... super weird, and nothing new from my court, but I actually donā€™t find it humorous. But that could lead to folks thinking that I were mad or butt-hurt at Burnham, but (and only Burnham could know this...) that is far from the case. If I wanted, I suppose I could glean from his remarks the fact that his overt facetiousness was a dead giveaway that he was giving me license to fancy myself some kind of a ā€œfaller,ā€ or else, ā€œdecent faller.ā€ But of course (and I love Burnham all the more for knowing it) this isnā€™t the case. A real faller is almost a mythological character, and he tends not to work in residential (though I have known two who did) settings. A REAL faller? A real father tends to work in the same species of wood, in roughly the same wood densities, ie altitudes/stand considerations etc, and almost never really has to guess about the parameters of what that wood can perform when cut up to a hinge. And those guys know stuff and can do things (swing Dutchmen type stuff) that I could never even imagine. Iā€™ve seen it. Thatā€™s not what I do. I wouldnā€™t make a zit on a real fallerā€™s ass. Iā€™m much more like a drunken (but calculating) gambler who periodically gets taken with a maniacal obsession to just find out what will happen, and who very much wants to guess right.

Rich: If you think that I am ass enough to come out there to Ohio to tell you what you can do with an Oak stump, yer nuts. Not in my wildest dreams man. I could probably count on one hand the number of Oak trees I fall in the space of three years.

Beautiful stuff right there Sean!

Mick: šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Point taken. DUDE!... I have writerā€™s inferiority complex, okay??šŸ˜”šŸ¤£

Maybe it wasnā€™t in the cards... I may take up dancing.

We are back from Island logging for the weekend.
Went home a bit early, because I totally misjudged a large branch and got whacked good.
Effing thing came sideways about 6 feet, and took me with it. Since it was 45 feet long and a foot thick, that was a serious whack!
That is one situation where wearing caulks is not good, there were two furrows where my feet had dragged.
My left knee took the brunt of it, but I should be okay after resting up for the weekend.

The new apprentice really surprised me.
On the second day he did 11 trees, which was about twice what I expected.
This is his first big one, I gotta say his stump looked as good as anything I've seen from "The World's greatest treeman", not bad for a beginner.
So I'm pretty satisfied.

P1080231.JPG P1080232.JPG P1080242.JPG P1080243.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry you got whalloped!

Is the butt grain usable, or does it just help keep it together, and have low stumps?

Peeler/ veneer or sawlog?

Mick, I just checked the forest map. They were planted in 1905.

The butt grain keeps the log from splitting, they usually discard it at the mill.

Most of this is going to China, so I've no idea what they use it for.
It is all bucked to 11,8 meters, because a shipping container is 12 meters long.
Buck them a bit too long and they can't close the container and everybody freaks out!
Fun to watch if you are not the person, who bucked the log.

Apparently there is a lack of empty containers going to China right now, so we were called off for a week, which is irritating as hell.
Fortunately we have a 2 day job in the castle park, which pays the rent on the cosy little cottage, we are staying in.
Something completely different from logging, I'll post some pictures.

He's pretty good if he can haul around 3 saws, I'd prefer extra wedges.

3rd saw is mine.
Imagine how that hurt, having to ask me if he could use mine, because he had gotten both of his stuck.

There was a lot of end bind in that tree, that got the better of him.

Sorry to hear you got cleaned out by the limb - they store some serious energy for sure. At least the newbie came through, which is a massive bonus I guess.

Those stems look really clean - tight grain?

It is a funny mix of really fine logs like this one, no age related false heartwood and lovely straight grain and then some which should have been taken out 25 years ago, which are close to going in the bio mass pile.

Back