The Official Work Pictures Thread

Seems to be the year for limb drop. Got a call Thursday afternoon regarding a “big limb” on a house. I went and checked it out that evening. Sure enough. Big limb. Approximately 12” where it broke, and over 40’ long. Surprisingly little roof damage, aside from a section of soffit damage about 16’ long. Two spots of twisted/gnarled shingles, but no actual roof penetration. Owner’s son said he thought about getting up there and “just pushing it off”. Bright idea, Sunshine, considering the limb weighted well over a ton, and the AC unit was directly beneath it, plus has a nice pine tree to guide it right onto the unit...went and took care of it Friday morning. B5B56E57-5FA0-43ED-B67E-3A62A6E561E2.jpeg 57D57946-3C0F-418B-B4AA-E1909718F714.jpeg

Not sure what you mean. There was 12’ of the butt banging off the edge of the roof, with several windows below. I set a line in the tree the limb fell out of and tied it about 8’ from the broken end. Set another line in the pine and tied it just past the halfway point. Tied another line (the one barely visible in the top pic, far left), and set it as a tag line tied off to a dogwood down the hill so the butt couldn’t swing back and hit a window. Fourth line run through a pine in the front yard and tied it near the upper line to control the top of the piece once we had it free. Then cut/tossed until the weight shifted and we just eased it off the roof. It was suspended between the oak and pine and we lowered it to the ground, ~20’, ~1200#.

Having run a roofing business for 17 years along with my tree business, I all but refuse to use a blower on a roof. We did rake the majority of the pine straw off.

Last edited:
Yea, that's what I was wondering. If it were me, I'd have beavered it apart in firewood size pieces if necessary, maybe securing it so it didn't make any sudden movements while cutting. My skills are limited, and my time infinite though, so I can afford to take the long way around the block.

Badass Scott. So you pretensioned all that right? How did you put that much pull on stuff? You got multiple grcs or something? And did you have to climb on the broken lead to set lines or cut stuff? Always looking to learn something on some storm work, I've never had one so complicated with zero access.

Just pretensioned the lines by hand. The limb had about 12’ of the butt hanging off the edge, which had it barely top-heavy. I actually believe the two of us could have pushed it off by hand. With the lines pretensioned, together with the slope of the roof, after we’d cut all the brush off of it, it almost slid off with no friction once it shifted a couple of feet. Set all lines with throwline.

Last edited:
We got a call at 7-30 last night for a large lead that had fallen and gone through their roof. Elderly couple. It was raining pretty good and I was 3-4 beers in. Wife drove me to look at it and I found 3 large holes in the roof, pretty flat roof. We were forecast to get heavy storms all night so I really pissed the Mrs off by telling the folks I would come back with gear and clear and tarp the roof. Finished by 9-45. Saved that elderly couple from a lot of water damage. Stupid choice since I had been drinking but it all worked out.
No pics but I will get some when we go back to clean up the brush

Just curious...we’ve had a remarkably wet spring/early summer. Could that have anything to do with limb drop?

Windy day.
Dead as a door-nail.

50' or less from the top, I considered heading down until tomorrow.
Rested a few.
Blew around a while.
Knocked off a few more limbs here and there. And popped a top, landing well short of the foot bridge.

Last shot, end of the day, about 445p. Time for the 32 or 36" bar, tomorrow, with the Wraptor. 16" on the 200t was doing it, slowly up to about 24"-26" diameter.

No rigging, no wedging. No fighting gravity.

All going and staying in the gully. 20210719_161146.jpg 20210719_161144.jpg 20210719_165141.jpg 20210719_164001.jpg

I've been around a lot of Tree company trucks, and most of them leaked oil, but it was such a slow leak that it wasn't worth taking the engine apart to fix. I don't know that anyone considered fixing them, but they were wary enough to occasionally check what fluid was leaking.

Back