The Official Work Pictures Thread

So, buggered this one for roof clearance. A bit of rot in the lead I took off. Always fun in tight spots. SRT with some new Sampson. Did not work out with the Akimbo. Too slick. So back to HH. Pruned some dead out of it to polish the little bugger I left. Still a tree, so some shade over the yard behind the fence
20210702_083441.jpg 20210702_083422.jpg 20210702_083449.jpg 20210702_132014.jpg 20210702_083502.jpg 20210702_132034.jpg

Last edited:
That one lead would have eventually taken the roof. The roof is slated for new metal. Owner owns a roofing Co. Two service lines right there. Multi unit apt. Folks park right under them. Poor attachments with included bark. He reall just wanted it gone, but I appealed to the wife. Two better oaks on either side of it. Might come down to just those left. Totally understand the liability of it though. The ones in the middle island in the back are also in sad shape. Killing those. Then the dirt work begins. Leveling it out and making a proper parking area and a second shop for him since he lives next door. Also has a back access road. So a F350-550 will be able to pull in there and turn around with a 26 foot goose neck.
Trading some of this work for that 24 foot trailer I got from him. He pays me weekly and I give him a third back of the trailer cost.

Any tips with roughing up new slick rope? I had the same problem but with my rrp. Not bad enough to stop me using it, but i needed/ need just a bit more friction

I was afraid you would say that lol. I love the rrp and really want to run it srt, i might have to go back to the rope wrench for a bit then. I've climbed srt most of the time I've been climbing and since I'm just getting back in it i wanted to do what I'm comfy with for the first few. I'm headed to do a splitting one tomorrow, decent locust if i remembered correctly, easy pull together to guy it, go up one and drop a few easy bomber limbs, top and then the other side, then fell the stems 1 at a time sideways. Chip then done since he wants firewood. Hopefully I'll remember some pics so i can rejoin this thread lol

Lol I've been rigging down piping all month, no pictures allowed obviously so it's not my fault lol. It's not like I've been just hanging out :lol: All the stuff is petty much as tight to the ceiling as you can get, so it's fun lol. We've been doing most of it with a scissor lift, usually in combination with and falls and come alongs, or even some 3/8 polyester 3 strand, often climbing out of the basket to make it happen with a cutting torch. I'm pretty much back at it again, just less than before i was sick. First tree climbing tomorrow since i was sick.

About the slicky new rope, be sure to wash it thoroughly before use. That really makes the difference by removing the lubricant of the braiding process. That's a very few amount, mass wise, but the effect is notable. I was lazy for one rope and it took a while to become normal.

Took 150' or so of 14mm Sirus Teufelberger rope anchored to the stationary pull point, parbuckle set up around the log to be moved and back to the portable winch anchored to the same tree.
Continuous rope puller anchored to the tree pulling 1/2" stable braid just to safety the trunk to be moved while cutting it free from the stump along with chocks and the mini.
The portawrap just a precaution to hold the anchor rope and in case of reset for adding MA if necessary. Continuous puller can sometimes slip under load, best to have the pull line locked off.
Dingo assisted in the roll keeping the log straight and helping it up the chocks.
Figure that log is 36" dbh and the winch capstan is 3" max. Probably more like 2.5.
So you are gearing it like a bicycle to roll it. Log length was 16'6"
You can always attach a prussic mid line and add pulleys with more rope. So long as you can secure the log while you set it up.

I get paid to sharpen someone else's on Saturdays. I fix their mistakes and even up everything so even half life chains cut about like new. It has made me a good hand filer, but the chain above isn't quite as good as I'd like. The teeth are about down to the angle marks they put on the heel.

5-30min per chain depending on tooth hardness and condition. Maybe 45min for a major overhaul with test cuts. It saves them a lot per hour if the operation isn't waiting for guys to sharpen stuff.

I like the skills I have gained from all this sharpening. I can now take most any chain with <60% life left that most people including me would throw away from slow or crooked performance and make it cut incredibly well without a grinder.

I have a couple years of catching up to do, about 60 left of these 70 loose set aside chains to refresh, some nearly new, others half life. Like 40lbs & $1000 of chains just sitting in the corner.
20210417_165811.jpg

Back