The Official Work Pictures Thread

Soooo... Lime tree and Basswood and all that ain’t nothin but Linden? Wouldn’t take that home as firewood less’n I was SUPER hard up.

Can't say I'm ever seen such a tree in Ft. Bragg. 45 years now. And I have never heard them (basswoods) called 'Lime'. Linden... yes. It's all vaguely familiar.

Lime is a poor name, a misnomer, an anglo-saxon version of linden.
Creates confusion, but too late to do anything about it.
Same as sycamore, cedar trees and bizarrely, buzzards were lost in translation crossing the Atlantic.

What does that do to the tipping capacity when you add a 20 foot lever arm to the boom?
My jib is ~10’ long, and with it, I can pick up 500# at full extension. Wouldn’t want to try more than that. I’ve lifted/held ~1000# with the job near vertical. The ladder plus my weight is nothing.

Nice trick.
I'm scared of ladders, so I would rather have climbed it.
Shit scared of ladders, in fact.

When I painted the gable of my barn, I had borrowed a super long ladder.
Once I had creeped my way up there ( Think 3 toed Sloth, scared to death) I decided, no way.
At the top of the gable there are 3 holes to let air out, for when we are storing hay in there.
I knocked the insect net out of the top one, ran a 6 feet piece of old rope out of it, and when I went up again, I wore climbing gear and tied into that.
Felt much calmer after that.
Calm enough, in fact, to lean too far out and have the ladder fall over.
I must have hung up there for 10 minutes screaming for help, before the mail order bride noticed.
Took another ½ hour for her to get the neighbour down to help get the ladder back up.
All that time I was stuck like a fly on fly paper.

I hate ladders!

I did similar painting my house one time. I had set a high line over the house and was about 25 ft up a ladder painting the tip top of the soffits when I leaned just a smidgen too far. I sproinged around as the highline settled in and then was able to DRT myself to the ground. Hate ladders, love tie ins.

I intended to tie in on the ladder today, but just opted for locking my legs in/through the rings for stability. I’ve spent LOTS of time on ladders in my life.

Talk about ladders... back in the 1960s I was picking peaches from atop an orchard ladder. Fairly stable device, but I managed to kick it out from under me, and suddenly was hanging onto a branch with a 40 pound sack of "freestone" peaches around my neck. I was in dire-straits to be sure. Struggling, tiring and fear of falling I managed to reached out with my tippy toes and pull the ladder back under me.

I like freestone peaches.

Do any of these millennials realize what they are missing in the treehouse? Thank you so much Stig and Jerry for the stories.

Years ago, I was helping a buddy build his house in the off-season. Our scaffolding wasn’t high enough to reach the apex of his roof, on the side of his house where I had to get some flashing. I thought, “Don’t matter, I’ll just throw Drew’s extension ladder up on the top platform of his 20 foot (three story house) scaffold. Never bothered to lash the scaffold to the house. What a dumb-ass. By the time I had made it halfway up the ladder, I fulcrumed the whole contraption (the rubber-coated bottom “feet” of the ladder were apparently a lot grippier than the nylon skids on the top of it😂) off the side of his house.

The scaffold hit the ground hard enough to send Drew’s second eldest boy Jake (he’s got four) runnin outside. “What happened? Are you alright?

“Yeah man, I don’t know how, but I’m pretty much totally fine!”

To this day I’m fairly sure that an angel broke my fall a bit.

Geezzus!

When I was roofing back in the day in San Fran, our aptly named co worker, "Zipperhead" climbed up a ladder the top of which was about 4' higher than where the ladder was leaning on the edge of a flat roof. He climbed above the contact point of the ladder and of course it fulcrumed on the contact point, the ladder feet shot out and Zip and the ladder went flying down . Bad crash but he was essentially unhurt. Probably his perma-high helped his survivability.

Hey @Jed , Deva's back and was asking about cha

I don't like ladders. Not exactly scared of them, but I avoid if possible. I used to climb up the forms on bridges to do work on top so I could avoid the ladder. Can't really do that anymore. Everything is safer now with work platforms and stuff, so if you climb up the forms, it would be harder to get on top. Bright side is the ladders are usually chained to the form, so it makes them nicer to climb.

Years ago, I almost dropped a ladder into a busy interstate. Had to get on top of the pier cap, and the forms were already stripped. Had to take a long ass fiberglass extension ladder, and get it up to the top of the pier. The ladder got away from me while wrestling it. and it almost flipped over my head and into the road. It took everything I had, and maybe a bit more to get that thing caught, and pushed up against the pier. Scared the shit out of me. That would have been a disaster if it went in the highway D^:

[QUOTE="treebilly, post: 1044256, member: 4673"
crane day.
[/QUOTE]

Big azz white oak!!

Yeah, that line is snubbing the log off to protect the deck.

Was it necessary? What force could take the log backward. Looks like the slope is away from the building. Looks like he may have been trying to protect the generator. That was a long way down the hill though. It was unlikely that any tree was going to travel that far, and he could have left a high stump on the other tree to do the job.

Back