The Official Work Pictures Thread

Exactly the biggfest problem , we had to solve.
Don't look at the pictures, they are from an experiment.

We cut the "slab" out by boring in from all 4 sides with a very shallow angle.
Then when we start hollowing out, we leace a one inch wide edge all the way around the edge of the cavity.
That way, once everything has been cut and broken out ( Notice Richard is working with a wrecking bar in the last picture) the slab, which has been cut flat by the groundie, simply goes back on and sits on that inch of wood, fitting tight.
That means it is recessed a bit from the surface of the trunk, a good thing, because that way, when it really rains, the water running down the trunk will drip past the slab instead of being able to get into the cavity.
We ended up making it wider at the top than the bottom for two reasons.
Makes it easier for the groundie to see which way is up when he/she sets the fastening screws and the climber can wedge it in, whgen fastening it, which eliminated the need of and extra arm.

This has been really interesting, since we are pioneering this stuff. It has been tried before in different countries, but according to our bat expert, we are the first to make it work.
That is why he can't get a how to guide out fast enough.

A side benefit is , we are learning a LOT about bats from hanging out with him :)

If this doesn't make sense, I'll make some pictures when we start.
awesome thinking and execution...

Nice, Mick. Lol underpriced. It happens. I guess it will never not happen on occasion

Rich cool pics... nice to be able to take a break from the crew and sit in some spurs for awhile.. yeah?

Tilia..lime...linden..basswood.. Jeez.. wow.

Just surviving... squinting into some kinda transition.

Ha, great turn of phrase and great perspective and great pic!!

Given the pic, I feel compelled to declare I climbed the Marin tower, lol, I know we've mentioned this before, but idk, just yeah, doh!!

Did you do it Wild style? Like just walk up the cables from the sidewalk?

The time we went up south tower we were invited by the paint supe..

Friends 9f mine like 10 years older say they used to drop acid and walk the two cables just holding on...

That's crazy man.

Did you do it Wild style? Like just walk up the cables from the sidewalk?

Yes that's how we did it. We were sober at the time, 2am. While it was thrilling it was pretty easy. Heck, I presume the painters do it every day basically, though they would be tied in.

Yes but you are walking on a very wide cable with a grippy traction surface and you have 2 smaller cables for handrails.

I was surprised, when I got to the top, how large and wide the top of the tower is.

Google says 726' to top of tower!

Nah, we hung out for 5 or 10 minutes then back down, still undercover of darkness

Nowadays of course, I'd have to BASE jump or wing suit from the top for it to have any interest at all :rockhard:

I guess the Marin side is the easiest to sneak up at night.

Actually we took a cab from SF to the SF side. We tried to walk out onto the bridge and they stopped us. We tried again and succeeded, and i can't remember if we did it by walking out to the middle of the bridge or maybe got dropped off at the middle, and then we climbed up onto the cable and kept going in the same direction, toward Marin.

Mellow, likely they do, now. This was in approximately 1979

Ah yes, the time before my time, where you got take home cups from the bar (one for the ditch), condoms were for sailors, and drug tests were unheard of lol.

Back