The Official Work Pictures Thread

See, that’s how stupid I am... I was just thinking about what happy Colliers John (Ixkllr) and I would have been, and here—come to find out—it was (according to one rediculously subjective viewpoint) “one of the worst jobs in history.”

Sean: Cool pics indeed.

Pigwot: WOW! That’s some serious chart. Thanks for the pics. I stinkin LOVE Mexican climbers, no homo.

Paul: Rad work as always.

Mick: Job fer a cowboy, imho. Thanks for the pics though.

Wedged a fifty foot top out of the TINIEST, little whip of a Hemlock today. TEDIOUS buisiness: tap, tap, cut, cut... repeat... EBA4AC16-2D50-4265-9030-FC0095A9980D.jpeg

. I stinkin LOVE Mexican climbers, no homo.

Lol!

Quick story: my wife's best friend has a house on a lake, I was there a month ago, I saw she had a huge dead Ash (3.5'x75') at the bottom of her steep backyard, right by the water's edge, zero access. I ask her what are you going to do about that tree, if I had to do it and I definetly would not want to, I'd charge 10k. She says I got 2 estimates which were both approx 3500$, she said one of em was from a mexican guy who has done other trees for her. I tell her 'if he says he can do it and he's done other things well for you, definetly hire him. They showed up a week later and demolished it in a day and a half. Buggy lugged everything outta the back yard on their backs. Cut the big wood to short lengths and then used a maul to make pieces liftable.

Hard core Mexicano gittin er done!

I had a ground guy that had spent a few years in Chicago, he called me the best white climber he had ever seen. So i was better than the other 2 he had met 🤣 🤣 🤣

Ruel I’ve been interested in turning bio waste into char and extracting the energy but sequestering the carbon. Seems like a win win for the environment and not that hard to do. So much wasted energy and carbon release. Can’t understand why it isn’t being done more

Charcoal production. They lived outside town tending the smoky fires, and were kinda outcasts
Here they lived in the forests.
Charcoal is easier to transport than wood.

There is a hill in my local forest named "Kulsvierbakken" Collier's hill.

Stil lots of places around with that kind of names.

I guess they got lung disease early. Hence the ostracism? Funny how society decides such lines

Nope.
They were pitch black.
Doesn't go over well in a white societry.

Here are some pictures from a job, we did last week.
I was too beat to post back then.

Rich guy buys farm with a nice little park.
After a few years 90% of the Beech trees, some 20 in total in the park just went and died.
Big mystery!

So we were hired in to fell them and had our usual skid steer to help pull them over and clean up.

Afterwards I talked with the owner ( we were subbing, so I hadn't met him before he came out to compliment us on our careful work ( banging trees down left and right).
He got tired of the lawn being soggy, so he had drainage put in.
Beech ( At least European Beech) is super sensitive to any change in the water level.
Add 3 years of dry springs and there you go.

I didn't have the heart to tell him, so to him it is still one of those "moves in mysterious ways" things!

P1070902.JPG P1070910.JPG P1070906.JPG P1070904.JPG P1070914.JPG P1070899.JPG

P1070898.JPG P1070911.JPG P1070912.JPG I'm getting really enamored with the triple hinge for side leaners. Works especially well when you have heavy equipment to pull with.
Those two trees had to be dropped fairly precisely, using a triple hinge saved me from having to reduce the tops before felling them.

Attachments

• P1070898.JPG
    P1070898.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
What's going on in pic #2 with the low line on the spar? Keeping it from kicking back into the deck?

edit:
While I'm asking questions... What's up with the sloped back in pic #3?

Last edited:
Nope.
They were pitch black.
Doesn't go over well in a white societry.

Here are some pictures from a job, we did last week.
I was too beat to post back then.

Rich guy buys farm with a nice little park.
After a few years 90% of the Beech trees, some 20 in total in the park just went and died.
Big mystery!

So we were hired in to fell them and had our usual skid steer to help pull them over and clean up.

Afterwards I talked with the owner ( we were subbing, so I hadn't met him before he came out to compliment us on our careful work ( banging trees down left and right).
He got tired of the lawn being soggy, so he had drainage put in.
Beech ( At least European Beech) is super sensitive to any change in the water level.
Add 3 years of dry springs and there you go.

I didn't have the heart to tell him, so to him it is still one of those "moves in mysterious ways" things!

View attachment 104327View attachment 104328View attachment 104329View attachment 104330View attachment 104331View attachment 104332

View attachment 104334View attachment 104335View attachment 104336 I'm getting really enamored with the triple hinge for side leaners. Works especially well when you have heavy equipment to pull with.
Those two trees had to be dropped fairly precisely, using a triuple hinge saved me from having to reduce the tops before felling them.
Nice pics @stig ! Lotta “bench racing” going on lately ... Seems to me like You and Mick! are carrying the torch as of late - gotta give credit where credit is due . I see the 500i got a workout 🤔

Last edited:
Thanks Sean, some expert rope running with some odd rigging angles made for a smooth job. My undercut was wicked outta level there, jeez, if I had stopped to fix it I might have sloped it inline with the railing for an easier cut! The angled stump is to make future carpenter’s life easier @lxskllr . Here’s a before shot. 84027704-30F5-46AD-A3FB-E0220573650C.jpeg

That is a lotta tree(s) there....lots of rigging for sure. For me that would likely take 2-3 days. How did it go for you?

Were you able to use that right side co-dom as a gin pole at all or did you just rig each tree off of itself?

Fine work there.

Final chapter of the wasp saga. Found one on my flip-line as I was cleaning up my gear. It was a nice day

Attachments

• 20201015_084934.jpg
    20201015_084934.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20201018_121909.jpg
    20201018_121909.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 20201018_124644.jpg
    20201018_124644.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 20201018_132246.jpg
    20201018_132246.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
3 years ago we got hired by the State forest to team up with the foremost bat expert in Denmark ( A guy with a serious case of bats in the belfry) to try to work out a method to make nesting/colony cavities for some rare and endangered bat species.
Some of you may remember that I posted some pics .
It turned out to be a major success, a lot of the cavities were inhabited by just the right bats.
The bat guy was out with his listening equipment this summer and was, according to the forrester in charge, literally dancing with joy.

So they have set a bunch of money aside and asked us if we would work on refining the system and making a "How to" guide for use nationally and internationally, in order to make others benefit from our work.

After logging 10 hour days, carving bat caves doesn't even seem like work, more like R&R.

Looks like we'll be getting close to 200 man days of bat work this fall.
Too much, so we have teamed up with another outfit.
We'll teach them and then we'll travel to different parts of the country and be batmen and women.

Hell, the pay is even ok :)

P1070920.JPG P1070921.JPG

Last edited:
Back