The Official Work Pictures Thread

The 088/880 series are 121.6 cc and have boatloads of torque for sure ! They can be made into a monster with port-work but can see nice gains from opening up the muffler and retuning ... Only drawback from my perspective is that they are heavy and wear out the man ... Stihl 881 manual carb ... Yah !

The 088/880 series are 121.6 cc and have boatloads of torque for sure ! They can be made into a monster with port-work but can see nice gains from opening up the muffler and retuning ... Only drawback from my perspective is that they are heavy and wear out the man ... Stihl 881 manual carb ... Yah !

Yeh, the nephew was happy to use it and get his photo taken to impress the ladies on his IG account.
Less enamoured by the end of the day! AAE2185A-DF45-4C84-978A-E3EDBC4326DA.png

Yeh, the nephew was happy to use it and get his photo taken to impress the ladies on his IG account.
Less enamoured by the end of the day!View attachment 104222
With 42” bar and chain and reservoirs full of gas and oil that 088 is a load for sure ... pho alone is over 22lbs ... My biggest saw is a hotwoods ported 395xp that will run and oil a 42” bar/chain ... Probably about 5lbs lighter but still something you would not want to run 8hrs a day ! Looks like you nephew has got the build for this type of physical work - 👍

Are you saying you'd take that tree down and split it up for 2500?
For the family I would ! Any branches under 6 inches gets cut and thrown into a pile ... We drop tree , buck all to length and split everything into a pile -the larger rounds get wedged and sledged or quartered into liftable pcs... customer takes care of cleanup ... here is the machine (along with ported saws of course) that makes this operation feasible ... ... with the right wood this machine will produce 6 face/hr with me operating and a bull feeding me ... more realistically 3+ face/hr with mere mortals

Thanks ! With the optimum sized rounds you can really cruise thru the wood ... The only drawback is you have to lift the wood to the table (about 30”) ... I did fab up a gantry Crane with a harbor freight electric winch and tractor supply tongs for larger / heavier rounds and I also adapted a roller conveyor to attach to the front of the machine to scoot rounds up also ... It has a .8 gal Gas tank and I’ve gotten over 10 face on a tank so it really sips the fuel ! Machine has been stone-cold reliable and have probably replaced $75 worth of parts in the years that I’ve owned it ... well over 2000face and is just getting broken in 😂 ... In fact the owner of the company that manufactures the SS (Paul)says there are machines still running from the 1970’s ! You can also use an electric motor as an option ... The company is also GREAT to deal with , the few times I’ve called needing a carrier bearing it arrived within a 3 days - sent it out right away no questions asked ! The machine is not cheep at 3200 for the model you see featured here but is well worth it from my perspective ... No I do not run canned gas in this puppy , just non ethanol 91 - so far the Honda motor has been good to me !

Last edited:
Thanks Frankie.

Mick: Monster pics. Rad work. Thanks a bunch.

Corey: Not redundant... to be honest... I always forget about that trick, and to be even further honest... man, I just don't really know about it's efficacy. I have though, read through all the pros and cons on this very thread, and I never made a verdict in my own head. Let's all remember on here that I'm just a Gerry Beranek wanna-be anyway, and the way I remember things... he knew that lots of readwood old growth dudes did that on monster back-lean pulls, but he never did say if he agreed with the practice. I COULD well be wrong.:|:

Killed it yesterday and today, solo.

Tree on a car for the morning. Mini won't quite lift it off. Slow tilt, bad rooting. A tree service that used to be 1/2 a mile from me for the last two years moved across the county!! Now they refer neighborhood with to me and another company.

Yesterday,
Ganoderma infected, barely alive maple.
Finished at dark. About double my target rate.

Today, pulled over a backleaning maple, stone dead, from toward a house, quick retainer and lowering line on a Willow, and cedar Canopy raise, with all material going into the woods.
Also, a high scoring day!

IMG_20201012_134012861.jpg IMG_20201012_134719408.jpg IMG_20201012_185659121.jpg IMG_20201013_141559349.jpg

Back