The Official Work Pictures Thread

In the US its called " i am tired of those gawddamn sickly trees"

I felled a monster...probably 4 to 5 inch DBH, ash behind the shop. Did the same thing now that I think about it.

I looked up coppicing....yep. I guess thats what happened. Never thought you could help a tree by cutting the stupid thing down.

Yes, Ash, Hornbeam, False acacia, sweet chestnut (using UK names) all coppice readily.

Where I come from in the uk there are loads of overstood hornbeam woods, planted for the furnaces dating from medieval iron production.

Dunno really, I guess the ‘stool’ (The stump from which the regrowth.....grows)
needs a certain amount of years to accrue enough energy to survive another cycle.
I don’t know what that is though, species dependent I guess.

Colliers are coal miners, it was the discovery of using coal in iron production that spelt the end of the iron Industry in Sussex, it moved to the coal mines in other areas, industrial revolution etc.

I thought that's what they called the guys who burned the mounds to make char?
Wikipedia said:
The operation is so delicate that it was generally left to colliers (professional charcoal burners). They often lived alone in small huts to tend their wood piles. For example, in the Harz Mountains of Germany, charcoal burners lived in conical huts called Köten which are extant today.[when?]

:shrugs:

Saw a treemugs video a while back of him making charcoal, looked pretty interesting. I did some reading and came up with this burner. Idea is to fill this with wood, build a fire underneath- then the wood gas comes out holes in the pipe and keeps cooking it.

Unused so far, but I think it'll work. probably going to make a non threaded plug for the other bung, emergency pressure relief.

I really hate dealing with all the little end pieces from bucking up firewood, hopefully put them to use

20200928_163100.jpg

Cory,
You'll have to come play when we have the jib on the 60ton crane's boom.
We have a 260 ft rope set aside just for when the jib comes out, for the fellow setting the slings to get back down to the ground before the pick gets cut.
Here is Herman heading past me on his way up to set slings. (Hand by his mic because he was telling bad jokes on his way up in Spanish ( because el jefe (the boss) doesn't speak Spanish).
It was only a 155 foot Tulip poplar, but we were on a steep hillside and he needed almost the full length to get back down.
HeadingUpToSetTheSlings.jpg

Ruel- Good stuff!! Keep us posted!

Wow, Pat, good stuff!!!!

Seriously, I'll put your name down for some tall tree days :)
CT isn't that far from DE and SouthEast PA... but I hear you're a bit busy without the ninja... maybe I should come give you a week.
I'll be on the road to Michigan in Nov. to deal with oak wilt trees at the day camp, and some Fall leaf cleanup. After that maybe...

Back