The Official Work Pictures Thread

Im at the magic 300k mark that I just need to do injectors. I felt it losing power when i started having hot start problems. When I figured it out as the IPR valve and replaced it, fired right up. But you could still feel it was not all the way back. Since the o tings on the IPR about fell off when I pulled it, i figure thats probably the issue with the power loss. So I was going to have them rebuilt, and that should be about it. Double check my pressures on the HPOP and such. Then think about an electric fuel pump set up with better filters.
1995 f250.

I like an old school truck as much, maybe even more, than the next fella...but I've long since gotten hung up on the lack of current tech safety equipment in these models. Anti lock brakes, skid control, air bags...

Now I know that a big vehicle sitting high, lots of heavy steel all around, is not a platform to sneeze at...but still...

Any thoughts, my friends?

I like the older trucks i can wrench on. They all have distinct Personalities and i always feel the pride of the fix. The challange.
The newer trucks are all right. The beds are taller than I care for. Im only 5'8" so harder to get into. Little things about them bug me
Now, a newer f150 for the wife and kids would be grand. I like those just fine. Comfy. It would not be a work truck though.
Newer diesels are nice enough. Did not care for the ram 2500 though. My 95 2wd has better traction. I dont like all the crap theve done to th hem either. The DEF crap. Cats. Bleagh. Shit, we cant hardly own any thing older than 2010 here.
My old racing bones still like to feel the vehicle too.

I would look really hard into getting a shim kit for the injectors rather than paying money to "rebuild" them. There really isn't a way to rebuild them right, because the seat for the needle is what's worn, and machining the body won't fix it either. Getting brand new injectors does actually fix the problem, but that's over 2k and to me doesn't make sense (mine had waaaaay more rust than you tho). The shim kit costs about 50 bucks, and with the addition of new o rings to replace the original ones that don't like biodiesel and a through cleaning of the tips, you have rebuilt them more than most places would. It's easy enough i did the entire job in an afternoon, and you don't need any special tools.

The other huge thing with the 7.3 is as the engine ages stiction becomes more and more of a problem. There's a molybdenum additive, archoil i think is a common brand, and it really makes a difference. So does running a newer, lighter, more synthetic oil, the oil specs have changed so much that they actually help it run better and protect better than the old school super thick stuff. If you do run Dino in it still, i very very strongly recommend the additive, it will make it run like brand new again.

Stiction is basically oil breaking down and forming a thick sticky substance that makes stuff hang up and not work. Many injectors don't ever truly get flushed out with new oil, so the old stuff just stays there and gets broken down. Molybdenum additives restore lubrication to the hpop, injectors, etc.

Stiction is basically oil breaking down and forming a thick sticky substance that makes stuff hang up and not work.

I've never been deep into an engine like that but your description reminds me of old grease that can turn sticky and make things harder to turn. Same principle?

Yup, but different causes. Stiction is more heat and shearing of the oil, grease is usually from contamination. The injectors in modern diesels have some insane conditions, and the advancements of oils has been directly driven by that. My 96 7.3 would run happily on 15 45 dino (especially with archoil added), which would cause my 17 to all but implode. Good news is even the synthetics have come down dramatically in price.

A true parasol.
Nice, I've never seen one live up to it's name like that before.

Yeah ... I was runnin a buddy’s Tennessee ported saw - ran good till she got hot then she lost some zip ... then the damn ring stuck and wiped out the top end .... use peeps ever heard of a diamond ball to chamfer the ports ? Lord Mr. Ford .....

I like an old school truck as much, maybe even more, than the next fella...but I've long since gotten hung up on the lack of current tech safety equipment in these models. Anti lock brakes, skid control, air bags...

Now I know that a big vehicle sitting high, lots of heavy steel all around, is not a platform to sneeze at...but still...

Any thoughts, my friends?
I really enjoy old trucks! But I have to say I really dig my new Ram. More power, better heating and cooling, did I say more power like lots more power so much so It can be plated as high as my 06' f450 and it's only a 3/4 ton. But yes the feeling of security is second to none in a truck.

I go a step further and radius the port edges ... this way u hawa happy customer and no blowup saw !
What's the difference? Diamond chamfering, polishing, it's all to put a radius on an otherwise potentially sharp edge, or are you talking about arching port edges, making the ports round instead of square?

Showing pics of another’s work on a public forum would be ............ uncivilized ! My YouTube channel ? Different kettle o fish 😂

Back