The Official Work Pictures Thread

Might be getting old. I seem to injure my hands on ridiculous shit anymore. They're currently a little sore from working on the garage door, but the last WTF experience was a thumb (muscle/bone). I wake up with it sore, and half the day I'm trying to figure out how I screwed it up. It eventually occurred to me I was sanding that plastic soft touch crap off a battery the day before, and using my thumb to press the paper down. I thought "Seriously?! I can't sand a piece of plastic now without injuring myself?!" :^S

I'll let you kids in on a dirty secret...for those of us who use our bodies to make a living, inevitably our physical structure wears down and down and eventually out :).

My shoulders, elbows, and wrists have at best 3/4's of a day of manual labor in them before they start to complain, and then punish me for another couple of days thereafter. My hands are the worst. Arthritis in my fingers gives me serious grief after only a few hours of working them on any task that requires strong gripping.

I had occasion to run my elderly Stihl 064 with 32 inch b&c a couple of weeks ago...reported on that elsewhere here. 3 hours before lunch, an hour break, then 2 more hours. Bucking firewood rounds from 30 to 40 inch logs.

The last hour and a quarter sucked, for my hands. Grip strength was fading badly. Trigger finger gave it up, and I shifted to the second two fingers of my right hand for that task...then went full switchhitter for the last 45 minutes, left hand on the rear handle/trigger.

Took me three days, maybe a bit more, to get my full grip strength back.

That is your future, friends :D.

Now...it is right and proper for my dear friend Stig to jump in right about here and chastise me for running my antiques, with their lousy 30 year old technology AV systems. He is of course, quite correct. ;)

My bad, but I still love running my 064 and 044 saws. Kick azz machines, even if they are old, like me :D.

Last edited:
heavy duty reduction after wind blows way 2/3 of this Ceratonia Siliqua(Saint Johns bread?)
a few cables on the way,lol

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2020-07-20-17h53m49s267(1).jpg
    vlcsnap-2020-07-20-17h53m49s267(1).jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 19
I'll let you kids in on a dirty secret...for those of us who use our bodies to make a living, inevitably our physical structure wears down and down and eventually out :)...

My shoulders, elbows, and wrists have at best 3/4's of a day of manual labor in. them before they start to complain, and then punish me for another couple of days thereafter. My hands are the worst. Arthritis in my fingers gives me serious grief after only a few hours of working them on any task that requires strong gripping..

Flawed, hasty generalization.

I'll let you kids in on a dirty secret...for those of us who use our bodies to make a living, inevitably our physical structure wears down and down and eventually out :).

My shoulders, elbows, and wrists have at best 3/4's of a day of manual labor in them before they start to complain, and then punish me for another couple of days thereafter. My hands are the worst. Arthritis in my fingers gives me serious grief after only a few hours of working them on any task that requires strong gripping.

I had occasion to run my elderly Stihl 064 with 32 inch b&c a couple of weeks ago...reported on that elsewhere here. 3 hours before lunch, an hour break, then 2 more hours. Bucking firewood rounds from 30 to 40 inch logs.

The last hour and a quarter sucked, for my hands. Grip strength was fading badly. Trigger finger gave it up, and I shifted to the second two fingers of my right hand for that task...then went full switchhitter for the last 45 minutes, left hand on the rear handle/trigger.

Took me three days, maybe a bit more, to get my full grip strength back.

Now...it is right and proper for my dear friend Stig to jump in right about here and chastise me for running my antiques, with their lousy 30 year old technology AV systems. He is of course, quite correct. ;)

My bad, but I still love running my 064 and 044 saws. Kick azz machines, even if they are old, like me :D.
Also part of it B is that you are not doing it everyday. Your conditioning is fading and being retired there is no need to go all in at once, spread it out.
But yeah, we'y'all ( is that a word? ) are going to be busted old folk one day. Hopefully living on an island in the tropics somewhere. :)8):drink::occasion5:

I'd like to examine one of those cork oaks up close, and watch the guys harvest it. That's a really neat thing. I was vaguely aware of what cork was, but never gave it much thought.

I know very little about harvesting cork, but I can say from experience, that a cork oak is one of the most fun trees to climb. The bark is soft and comfortable. It is like climbing a padded tree. Good grip also.

Been wanting to prune the only cork oak I have ever seen up close in town like forever. He never calls. Even worked at that restaurant for a spell. Probably hire his brother. Woooooo boy you should see the pruning cuts. Holy Hack Shit Bat man.

Sylvia snapped a couple of pictures of a declining boxelder we worked on Monday.

I think they show how I use open angles and multiple crotches from a single line shot from the APTA. None of those suspension points would have been acceptable individually.

The RRP is still working well.

20200721_182122.jpg 20200721_182459.jpg

Also part of it B is that you are not doing it everyday. Your conditioning is fading and being retired there is no need to go all in at once, spread it out.
But yeah, we'y'all ( is that a word? ) are going to be busted old folk one day. Hopefully living on an island in the tropics somewhere. :)8):drink::occasion5:

I'll agree with this. No doubt my conditioning is fading. But I can also attest that my overall ability at day in and day out manual labor without any repercussions, began to wither long before I retired, at least a decade before. About the same time my hip began to fail, so that may be an unseen (by me) factor.

Dropped the kid at camp.
Bid a job.
Cleared some access,
previewed dying madrone,
and got a 90-100' TIP in a fir to be moved higher tomorrow, maybe 30--50'.
Going to try my epple hook tomorrow to get a second rope in a second, shorter tree.

Short pole chainsaw tomorrow on my Kombisystem... Actually, I can pick up a 3' extension tomorrow to help, maybe 2. Start at the top and work the dead tops down some from the firs, then get on madrone directly.

High lines need to account for trunk movement. I think there will be too much trunk sway up top in the fir to anchor the lower end as a sloping high line with everything tension to maintain elevation.

One bite at a time.

I found a hollow section under my mini travel path in a steep slope. The builder used an empty drum for fill.
I'm cutting the grade a bit, and widening, creating gravel/ soil fill for the drum. Works out. Didn't want to collapsing under me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200722_130121717_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200722_130121717_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200722_145540607_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200722_145540607_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200722_131322917.jpg
    IMG_20200722_131322917.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
gf beranek you are right but latelly is like all industries fast fast, guys dont learn enough, damage trees badlly, cork oak decline is very visible, wine is gonna be expensive, do you know that good wine will never be without cork?

Some trees have a double layer of cambium. The inner layer makes the soft wood as usual, the outer layer makes the cork (or the usually not so "foamy" dead bark for the other species) and in between is made the live bark carrying the nutriments (the phloem).
The cork oak's bark is especially thick and easy to take out. The first cambium shouldn't be damaged with some care, but apparently that was before. I'd like to see that live too.

Last edited:
Just still pruning oaks here. Tonnes of blue oaks on my list. Dead wood and mistletoe these. About got all the mistletoe done earlier this year on 5 acres. But now what dead he stares at through his windows and off his porch now I guess. Some before on a couple of them. They were all kind of full of stuff. IMG_0333.JPG

Back