The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And the industrial food/food science complex does it to the parents

From the Hidden Life Of Trees guy...

The most interesting part to me...

There’s a vine that grows in South America that adapts to the form of the tree or bush it is climbing on. Its leaves look just like the leaves on the host plant. You might think this is chemically controlled. In that case, the vine might be detecting scent compounds from the bush and changing the shape of its leaves in a way that was genetically predetermined. Three different leaf shapes had been observed. Then a researcher came up with the idea of creating an artificial plant with plastic leaves and relocating our botanical chameleon to its new home. What happened next was amazing. The vine imitated the artificial leaves, just as it had imitated the leaves in nature.

I might try to hunt down the original research some time, and see exactly how it was setup.

edit:
The vine(Boquila trifoliolata)...

image.png

Last edited:
Wild article!

Interesting!

Yeah, I remember that generation. Northwestern California was a haven for alternate life style. Land was cheap and most of the ilk were peaceful sorts. Earth people. That was before the cartels and crack labs moved in.

Sorry, not about to subscribe to that.

Might interest you to know that Møns klint where I've logged the last 2½ months is the place where they found the line of ash, that proved the theory of a dino killer impact.

That might actually bve the one thing that could get humanity to work together.
Knocking a meteor away from hitting Earth.

If, of course, we don't get too many Trump types, calling it a hoax.

The footprints are believed to be between 21,000 and 23,000 years old, and show evidence of children and teenagers alongside a variety of extinct animals. The tracks are thought to be over 10,000 years older than previous evidence of humans in the Americas.

Y'all probably don't want to read it, but this is an article on how engineering made New Orleans more of a disaster than it already was...

Two quotes that stood out to me.

From 1718...

“Nothing more than two narrow strips of land, about a musket shot in width,” surrounded by “canebrake [and] impenetrable marsh.”

From 1850(speaking of the surrounding marsh)...

“This boiling fountain of death is one of the most dismal, low, and horrid places, on which the light of the sun ever shone. And yet there it lies under the influence of a tropical heat, belching up its poison and malaria ... the dregs of the seven vials of wrath ... covered with a yellow greenish scum.”

What part of that sounds like a good place to live?! "Hey, this is wet as shit, and smells like an alligator's ass. Home!". All the nice places in the country and around the world, what would possess someone to stop there? If you tried to sell me some of it, I'd tell you to go frig yourself, and I'd keep walking.

Back