The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 285K
I only know that his mom was a German Shepherd. I have always been curious to what he is mixed with. I had to look up the Swiss Sennenhund. That is a really cool dog and I can see some references. Otto has distinct merle on his ears and back leg and he also has webbed feet. It always led me to believe he has some Catahoula in him. His personality lines up with many Catahoula traits as well.

I will check with the Vet, thank you for mentioning it Sean. Like Marc said, I though elevated eating was a benefit. Now I am curious to learn more.

God! is nowhere safe from Murph and his tiresome lecturing?

Post a picture of a dog, cheer us up, not difficult is it?
I love the dog pics.. AWESOME.... and if you took time to read the article you would know that the science is pretty clear that kids are healthier when there is a dog in the household, especially in the first year of life, they are much less likely to get asthma. That is all .. carry on!

People say both ways.

Ask you vet.

I just quickly skimmed top results.
Each result that was a proponent, was selling raised dog dishes.
Geriatric dogs are not found in nature, like pets. Geriatric dogs have other things going.

The following is not Gospel, clearly.

“Cumulative incidence of GDV during the study was 6% for large breed and giant breed dogs. Factors significantly associated with an increased risk of GDV were increasing age, having a first-degree relative with a history of GDV, having a faster speed of eating, and having a raised feeding bowl. Approximately 20 and 52% of cases of GDV among the large breed and giant breed dogs, respectively, were attributed to having a raised feed bowl.” (J Am Vet Med Assoc 2000;217:1492–1499)

“Cumulative incidence of GDV during the study was 6% for large breed and giant breed dogs. Factors significantly associated with an increased risk of GDV were increasing age, having a first-degree relative with a history of GDV, having a faster speed of eating, and having a raised feeding bowl. Approximately 20 and 52% of cases of GDV among the large breed and giant breed dogs, respectively, were attributed to having a raised feed bowl.” (J Am Vet Med Assoc 2000;217:1492–1499)

Seems like dogs need raised- food like trees need arborists.

So far I've never seen a Wolf drag a stool around to put it's food on while eating.

Scratch that little thing and one inch deep, its all wolf.

I can't tell if that is a Mops, but one of the wolf psycology books I read when I wanted a Československý vlčák, told a story of a Mops in Germany that got lost in the woods.
When it was found 3 months later, it hadn't lost any weight.

Back