The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 288K
The nice thing about dogs is they get you out of the house to walk them...it's often the best part of my day. Nala (being a retriever) likes to carry stuff while going on our walks. She decided she wanted to carry three sticks today for some reason. This is a closed logging road that we like to hike up, it's made from wood chips that the local saw mill (now closed and gone) had no market for when the pulp mills shut down. IMG_20201118_132742.jpg

Yeah, that's the mainland. I like to watch the snow collect on the peaks during winter...it's been a lot less for a number of years now (no surprise).

I bring my dog to work with me every day.
So no need to walk him.
When we get home, he just wants dinner and to go to sleep.

Todays walk was at the Muskeg Meadows golf course.
IMG_20201119_124433.jpg
IMG_20201119_125735.jpg

The fairways are constructed from wood waste and by-product generated from the now closed sawmill.
IMG_20201119_125600.jpg

There are still a lot of spring board stumps all over the place around here. This one is on the edge of the fairway, I have several on my property as well. I like the history of the hand logging era.
IMG_20201119_123919.jpg

Cool springboard notch. I wonder if that was ever done where I'm at? I kinda don't think so. We don't have the trees westerners have.

I bet back in the 1600's there were plenty of trees there that would have needed a springboard. But that was before springboard technology :D. And anyway, those stumps are long gone now, so no evidence to explore :).

From what I understand, the old growth eastern white pines attained every bit of the stature that western species, like Douglas fir, Ponderosa pine, Red cedar, Hemlock, and Larch usually achieved, on average at maturity.

Seems like a good idea on the west coast (springboards), as likely as not could well have come from loggers from east of here :).

I don't know at all, just speculating.

Last edited:
I agree Burnham, there were some impressive trees in the East and Midwest in the day. The white pines were targeted for spars for sailing ships.

The other part of this is that one needs to consider the timeframe of when crosscut saws were actually developed and used (not 1600 and 1700 hundreds)

Last edited:
So I ordered Cooper a Hawaiian shirt off Amazon and there’s some unexpected profanity on it. I seriously had no idea it said “ Go F*ck Yourself” all over it.
The link and description on Amazon have no indication unless you look closer at the pics. I think it’s funny. I doubt many people will really notice.
2B7F6379-1D5B-47B4-AE6A-C0BC2EBCD8B7.jpeg

Love it.

Kinda like the old blind mule.

He got around pretty good. Knew where the barn was and where the creek was.

One day, a neighbor parked a hay wagon right on the mule's path with out knowing it.

Mule came out of the barn and ran right into the wagon.

Neighbor asked.."is that mule blind?"...

Hell no, the farmer said......he just don't give a fůck.

Love it.

Kinda like the old blind mule.

He got around pretty good. Knew where the barn was and where the creek was.

One day, a neighbor parked a hay wagon right on the mule's path with out knowing it.

Mule came out of the barn and ran right into the wagon.

Neighbor asked.."is that mule blind?"...

Hell no, the farmer said......he just don't give a fůck.
Good one. Sadie , my old chocolate lab went blind gradually over the years...she was amazing in how she could navigate my yard without help. In fact, I would take her duck hunting and lead her out to the blind and hunt her...amazing how she could still retrieve birds totally blind.

Walk on the beach today looking at survey points for a land exchange today. Dam crap on the beach...State land so there is zero enforcement for removal of junk...pisses me off. IMG_20201120_104740.jpg IMG_20201120_105321.jpg

Back